Calico, the trip report

Calico, the trip report
Who's the spotter?
It's actually the guy not giving direction in this shot.:laugh:

HAHA, you know you are in trouble when everyone is pointing and telling you where to go the spotter just has a blank look.

Great pics you guys, looked like a ton of fun and a lot to take in and explore. Not to mention that is one tough looking trial.

The trails we did were much more civil to say the least :D, this is one of the tough ones we went to be spectators at and well worth the time,
But yes, it was all good.:chug:

the spotter, the one with the gloves
he was spot on
I would let him spot for me
the other guys
idiots, and there are always idiots trying to spot, you need someone with experience, that guy had it, they were a experienced group.
I hate to admit it, but they had a FJ40 with them that got up the trail
yes it was worth watching
but my days of doing that are far behind me.

we did some fun trails, we had a few hill climbs that had us going, I misjudged one and had to back down and re climb it
all in all I think we hit low range a few times
the terrain there is 1 to 3 on a scale of 1 to 5 on mot roads, and the ones that are over that have some 5 and 5+ areas but they are well known and you can easily stay off of them.
However most of the stuff is dirt roads with a knarly hill here or there, Basically easy with enough obstacles just to keep you from getting bored.
I run 2 1/2 inches and 31s on the yellow Jeep, both ends detroits, and it laughs at the terrain, with a detroit in the rear and 4.88s I do not even hit 4x4 till the hills start.

The trails we did were much more civil to say the least :D, this is one of the tough ones we went to be spectators at and well worth the time,
But yes, it was all good.:chug:

You two probable would have had to tow me back to the parking lot.:D
I would have had to try it :drool:, with you and baja spoting I would have made it for sure.:rolleyes:

I would have had to try it :drool:, with you and baja spoting I would have made it for sure.:rolleyes:

:laugh: Doesnt suprise me.

Idve just left my broken pile as another obstacle. :D

Great pics guys. Looks like alot of fun. Im way jealous.:bang:

Ya we could have got you up with enough rock placement :D, the deeper hole would have needed a 10 wheeler load in it for me to get past regardless of who the spotter was :laugh:.

:laugh: Doesnt suprise me.

Idve just left my broken pile as another obstacle. :D

Great pics guys. Looks like alot of fun. Im way jealous.:bang:

Pete, Where you been? We took all the Scrambler pics for you!:)

Here's a couple of them getting the busted up Scrambler back down, broken CV on the rear drive shaft and maybe an axle or hub in the front as he only had drive on the right front. I was more than a bit confused these guys built these rigs so nicely and then sacrafice them to the rocks, it was fun to watch though :drool:.

Pete, Where you been? We took all the Scrambler pics for you!:)

I was a little upset the Scrambler didnt do better. Dont we always talk about added wheelbase for just these types of situations? I know it wasnt bobbed , and Im glad for it, but youd think there would be an advantage there.

The CJ7 just barely misses the top and the Scrambler has to back out broke. :bang: I know how these types of Western "rocks" are placed though. "Boulders" sounds about right. I know you guys had the best vantage point. Pics never do justice in cases like this. That said , I can imagine the angle ;)

I was thinking the same, it would be hard to say no, especially if you have a good spotter, that has run it before **hint, hint** :D.

Pics never do justice in cases like this. That said , I can imagine the angle ;)

But this is so true. ^^^^

I've pieced some things together to get home but 400m! :eek:

What were those tires 35's 37's and what was the Fat Jeep running?

the spotter, the one with the gloves
he was spot on
I would let him spot for me
the other guys
idiots, and there are always idiots trying to spot, you need someone with experience, that guy had it.

Baja, your so right, a good spoter can make a bad driver look good.
A bad spoter can get a good driver in trouble.

37 x 12.5 on the 7, I think the 8's were bigger but you could no longer read them.:eek: The eight was spring over 3" lift leaves, so 7-8" lift?

Yes the pics do no justice to the size hole you need to climb out of, and just getting to that point was no real walk in the park. :D

Baja, your so right, a good spoter can make a bad driver look good.
A bad spoter can get a good driver in trouble.
you know, I run what is called light junk
D30s and D44s
31s or 33s
but I gear real low, and do not use the skinny much, My Tj was one very nicely set up Jeep and went anywhere, I have been over the Rubicon in 4 cylinder CJ5s on 31s. I do not build big because I see no need.
But saying that you have to understand, I use spotters, and listen to them, I also can spot a bad spotter quick. I will also set up a winch pull instead of breaking an axle.
that obstacle there is a extreme Jeepers dream, Yes I took it once in the TJ, on 33s, but I am way past that now days, I jeep to explore and go camping, my days of trying to break a jeep to measure my A BAD WORD are far past.
A good spotter is worth the weight of your jeep in broken Iron

Baja, your kinda wheeling is the kind I want to do when my jeep is done. Trails and some hills. No offense to the extreme crowd, but I will be honest and just admit I don't have the nerve. Great trail report.
:chug:

Baja, your kinda wheeling is the kind I want to do when my jeep is done. Trails and some hills. No offense to the extreme crowd, but I will be honest and just admit I don't have the nerve. Great trail report.
:chug:

I am set up decent but by no means hard core. I do some of my area's popular rock trails on occassion but I really started out and built my rig to get me to my fishing holes. I have spent many nights in the back of my Jeep with the tailgate down and the poles out. It helps not to have to worry much about getting stuck or breaking.

There is a really good article in Jp mag (Trailhead section 01/12 issue) that says something like "go hardcore or go home." It sounds like he is going to talk about building up (tons of people here have the buggy bug). But, he actually ends up talking about everything that is missed when you have to trailer a rig or can't just jump off the highway and explore. :cool:

That sounds like CJ people to me, the others are just coming back around and figuring it out. :D

every spring I take 2 weeks off, hook up the little trailer I keep camping supplies in and head out to the dessert for around 10 days. I just go out and explore areas I have never been. At the end of the 10 days I am tired, I stink, I have a plethora of pictures and memories and I am proud my CJ has carried me through another huge adventure.
Most nights I make a pallet under the rear of the jeep and curl up with a blanket,looking up into the stars. I seem to write a lot of poetry out there. My dog gets to chase a lot of tennis balls. And I can not for the life of me understand why I would want to beat up a vehicle I am dependent on to keep me alive during that time.

every spring I take 2 weeks off, hook up the little trailer I keep camping supplies in and head out to the dessert for around 10 days. I just go out and explore areas I have never been. At the end of the 10 days I am tired, I stink, I have a plethora of pictures and memories and I am proud my CJ has carried me through another huge adventure.
Most nights I make a pallet under the rear of the jeep and curl up with a blanket,looking up into the stars. I seem to write a lot of poetry out there. My dog gets to chase a lot of tennis balls. And I can not for the life of me understand why I would want to beat up a vehicle I am dependent on to keep me alive during that time.

You are living my dream, Baja.. If I could, I would move to that part of the country, anywhere in the SW, and do just that. I have plans in the works for a trailer as well, and I have been building my CJ to do just what you've described. Those wild rigs, doing those big rocks are fun to watch, and I am amazed at what they can do, but I don't think it's for me and my rig..:)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom