Broken bolts

Broken bolts

jakeh937

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'79 Cj5, 258 with Howell Fuel injection kit, T18 with dana 20 Tcase, dana 30 front with Detroit locker, AMC 20 rear with LSD and one piece shafts, Warn 8k winch, 1" body lift, 2" suspension lift, 33 tires
Anyone have any ideas/experience removing broken bolts from the bottom of the exhaust flange? One bolt is broken just below flush. The other was sticking out a bit. With some kroil and luck.... didn't come out. Welded a nut to it and got it to move. Hopes were high until.. snap, bolt breaks again just below flush. 2 broken drill bits and frustration sets in. Thinking about looking for a dang new manifold and calling it a day. Any experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've taken out many snapped studs/bolts.
1) carbide bit, NOT a common "high speed" bit
2) heat red hot with torch
3) "easy out" or similar. Snap-On makes great bolt removers.
4) reheat as needed to keep the bolt moving easily.
Works every time.

Anyone have any ideas/experience removing broken bolts from the bottom of the exhaust flange? One bolt is broken just below flush. The other was sticking out a bit. With some kroil and luck.... didn't come out. Welded a nut to it and got it to move. Hopes were high until.. snap, bolt breaks again just below flush. 2 broken drill bits and frustration sets in. Thinking about looking for a dang new manifold and calling it a day. Any experience?

I sure hate those exhaust flange bolts. Pull the manifold and drill it on the bench, use some heat and the easy out use hi temp anti seize on the new one ones, its a pain

I've taken out many snapped studs/bolts.
1) carbide bit, NOT a common "high speed" bit
2) heat red hot with torch
3) "easy out" or similar. Snap-On makes great bolt removers.
4) reheat as needed to keep the bolt moving easily.
Works every time.

The 2 I snapped were carbide bits. They were small but both snapped and stuck inside haha. What a complete pain and mess. I was going to use some heat but didn't have access to a small torch tip

I sure hate those exhaust flange bolts. Pull the manifold and drill it on the bench, use some heat and the easy out use hi temp anti seize on the new one ones, its a pain

They are! If I mess up and drill the threads will a longer bolt with nut and washer work ok? Of course with anti-seize

They are! If I mess up and drill the threads will a longer bolt with nut and washer work ok? Of course with anti-seize

My fuzzy grey matter is failing me currently but if there is enough room on top of the flange for a nut then yes that will work just fine, I prefer that so I can just cut the stupid bolts off and move on with my life lol

My fuzzy grey matter is failing me currently but if there is enough room on top of the flange for a nut then yes that will work just fine, I prefer that so I can just cut the stupid bolts off and move on with my life lol

Exactly lol. I hope it does that's my plan if I mess up threads. Thanks!

If you have broken carbide drills in there, you could try and bust them up by using a punch to break them up. See if you can drill thru the other side. Try to drill thru with as large of a drill as you can without drilling into the threads. This would weaken the walls and you might just be able to pick out the drilled out stud. Not sure if going to the next size up thread would work, but if you destroy the thread you could try it. Then there is the Heli-Coil option. Good luck!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks