Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'78 CJ7
SBC 350, T-176, Dana 300
Dana 30, AMC 20, 3.54
2.5" Rancho suspension lift with 33's
Here's my story...
78 CJ7 with front disc, rear drum.

I noticed a couple of weeks ago Both front calipers are dragging. I looked at the master cylinder saw that brake fluid was leaking. I got another master cylinder, bench bled it, bled brakes. Fixed absolutely nothing. Calipers still drag, brake fluid is coming out from under the cover on master, which in hind sight, is where it was coming from on old master. The cover is tight. Upon further review, I ran into the Proportioning valve which I was unaware of until now. Is that my culprit?

Thank you, in advance.

:wtf: disc brakes calipers are designed to drag a small amount, if it is excessive (difficult to turn the wheels by hand) then you probably have a stuck caliper piston or stuck caliper (pins or caliper slider support)

:wtf: disc brakes calipers are designed to drag a small amount, if it is excessive (difficult to turn the wheels by hand) then you probably have a stuck caliper piston or stuck caliper (pins or caliper slider support)
Thats what I was thinking but he said both are doing it and I have a hard time thinking both have gone bad at the same time.

It would be odd that both would be bad at the same time but don't forget about the brake hoses. have seen them collapse internally and act like a one way check valve.

I couldnt bevieve both would fail at same time either. Had it off the ground again last night. The passenger side is grabbing much worse, I think it is the caliper. The driver side grabs part of the time, I think that rotor is warped. I'm going to order rotors and calipers. I guess I should replace the rubber lines that connect to calipers as well.

Why the heck would I have brake fluid coming out from the master cover. Could these problems cause that?

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks