Brake lights/ Turn Signals/dash lights not working.

Brake lights/ Turn Signals/dash lights not working.

Sixmorereps

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 cj7 laredo 4.2 inline 6.....
Hello Forum friends!
I have a 1981 CJ7 Laredo , 4.2 liter straight 6

As my title reads, my brake lights, dash, and turn signals are all not working. I do have functioning fuel/temp gauges. Wondering if that combination of outtage is common and if there is a fix I'm overlooking.
I am not well versed in fixing electrical issues so I'm looking for some basic advice if possible.

Thank you in advance and any help is hugely appreciated..
Happy New CJ7 owner.
Lev

Welcome to the forum, whenever there is an electrical problem with a CJ, the first thing to look at is the fuses. Second would be the ground circuit, as Cjs are well known for having poor ground connections. All electrical problems with CJs are common. There are electrical diagrams that can be found in a repair manual but the best is put out by Prospero's:https://colorwiringdiagrams.com/t/jeep
For the brakes, check the taillight bulbs, run a temporary jumper wire from the battery negative to the metal taillight housing, this will check for a bad ground. You should also run that wire to the dashboard to check the dash. You are going to need a multimeter or test light to check the current at those light sockets. If you are really stumped about checking the circuitry, you will have to search online and/or YouTube for help.

:ww::dbanana::banana:

X2 on what T'head sez. :notworthy:
Your brake lights and turn sigs are all routed through the turn signal switch inside the steering column. Take the turn signal lever, and work it up and down about 50 times and see if that cleans off the internal contacts.
Dash lights are controlled by the headlight switch. Rotate the switch to the right then left a couple of dozen times, and see if that helps any.
I suggest you run a dedicated wire lead from the dash panel to the NEG(-)battery post. Bad dash GND, leads to all kinds of issues on CJ's.

LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks