Rockhpr

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
87 Jeep XTC
mostly cj
part xj
part tj
So after completely rebuilding my brake system during my frame off restoration my brakes still suck. I have new brakes, brake lines, proportioning valve, dual diaphragm booster and new master cylinder. With all of this my brakes still will only lock up on gravel. Bled system thoroughly. Not spongy just doesn't stop well. Any Ideas? Apparently I have more to learn about hydraulics.
Specs: 86 CJ7 4.0L from 96 XJ. 35" tires. Dana 30 front Dana 44 Rear.
Thanks

Help Brake Help
I used a double diaphram booster out of a TJ with an adjustable proportioning valve. I can drag my 35s. Disks on both ends. You might have to rework the rod between the pedal and booster.

The engine in my CJ is from a 96 XJ. The powersteering pump isnt very large. Does it provide enough pressure?
Not 100% sure, give Vanco a call @ 800-256-6295 and get the info. They only list XJ till 94.

So those of you that have done the hydroboost setup, did you all use the astrovan setup? Did you get junkyard parts or purchase all new.
I have a junk yard astro van hydro booster I will be installing. Im not sure if I will be needing to have mine ported to run hydro assist steering. ( ran into problems with my steering shaft. The shaft size is for a ford/chevy for my steering box that is ported for hydro assist )
You can order a rebuilt one for pretty cheap. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...tive-van-1993-chevrolet-astro?q=Booster&pos=0 Only problem with going with the rebuilt one is they dont have the rod inside the booster that goes to the master cylinder. You can fab one up or I have a place I can get them from. ( very Limited about I can get )

So those of you that have done the hydroboost setup, did you all use the astrovan setup? Did you get junkyard parts or purchase all new.

My Astro hydro came off line new for same price or less than the YJ dual diaphragm booster cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PROBLEM FIXED!!!!! I feel kind of ignorant. I should have known.
I didnt realize that when I installed the dual diaphragm booster and master cylinder kit that the rod that was between the two needed to be adjusted. Saved by You Tube once again. I can now lock up my 35s on the pavement.
Thanks for all your input but I am glad I didnt have to go through all that for hydro assist brakes.

Now on to ram assisted steering. Goin to try to upgrade that before MOAB.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks