Body Body Tub - 1972 CJ5

Body Body Tub - 1972 CJ5

bcstringer

Jeeper
Thanks
South Clementine Street, Oceanside, CA 92054, USA
Vehicle(s)
'72 CJ5, 4.2L 258, T-18, D20, D44, D30
I'm looking to either get a new tub or replace passenger side panels for my 1972 CJ5 project.

Has anyone had any recent good luck with the MD Juan Enterprises' new body tubs that are distributed by Willys-Overland, OMIX-ADA, Jeepsterman, etc? I noticed most of the body tub questions are pretty old on here, and there are some YouTube videos out there (example:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
) from 2 years ago stating some concerning fitment and primer issues with these MD Juan tubs. I'm wondering if they have improved in quality?

I just don't want to spend that much money a new tub and then have to spend even more time and money to fix the issues then strip all the primer and re-primer.

Thanks for any experiences and assistance!

Solution
I bought a WO tub for my 72 because it is reworked and a direct bolt on (no work / mods needed and you can order custom changes). I did seal and reprime before paint.
If you just need sides I suggest Classic. The best out there IMO and as good or better than factory as well as made in the USA, not import.
I don't have experience with the tubs but if all you need is the passenger side. I'd say replace just that and keep your current tub it will be far cheaper and far better quality

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

I bought a WO tub for my 72 because it is reworked and a direct bolt on (no work / mods needed and you can order custom changes). I did seal and reprime before paint.
If you just need sides I suggest Classic. The best out there IMO and as good or better than factory as well as made in the USA, not import.

Solution
I’m sure glad I don’t need a body.

I’m sure glad I don’t need a body.

Ill be needing one sometime later on for the one I just bought. Im going to be putting money back now that Aqualu isnt out of business.

As for the OP Id never buy a new tub if truly only one side is bad. Like Cj said classicent.com has quality replacements. Key Parts is getting great reviews if they have what you need as well as classic to current for a few to compare.

I don't have experience with the tubs but if all you need is the passenger side. I'd say replace just that and keep your current tub it will be far cheaper and far better quality

Thanks MM, we’ll see pretty soon once we remove the Swiss cheese, if the support behind the damage is stable enough to weld new panels to. I would much rather save the time and money with the panels, and I get to keep the ‘72 “Jeep” script. I believe the new tubs only come in blank or ‘55-‘71 “JEEP” script or ‘76-‘83 “Jeep” script, which is a bit frustrating.

Thanks CJ, yes, I’ve been looking at Classic Ent and parts look quality. I just hope the support behind the Swiss cheese areas are stable enough for panels. We’ll find out soon.

Ill be needing one sometime later on for the one I just bought. Im going to be putting money back now that Aqualu isnt out of business.

As for the OP Id never buy a new tub if truly only one side is bad. Like Cj said classicent.com has quality replacements. Key Parts is getting great reviews if they have what you need as well as classic to current for a few to compare.
Thanks Petescj, I haven’t looked at Key Parts, only Classic Ent, but I’ll check them out. Thanks!

Thanks MM, we’ll see pretty soon once we remove the Swiss cheese, if the support behind the damage is stable enough to weld new panels to. I would much rather save the time and money with the panels, and I get to keep the ‘72 “Jeep” script. I believe the new tubs only come in blank or ‘55-‘71 “JEEP” script or ‘76-‘83 “Jeep” script, which is a bit frustrating.
According to Classic it has the Jeep stamped into the panels.

Our new 2 piece side repair kit includes the front quarter with the officially licensed "Jeep" stamped side repair, and the rear quarter side repair. They are designed to work together to form a complete side repair.

The rear 1/4 (panel B) has the rear 900 bend where it meets the corner and the upper edge is flanged so you can weld to your original tub edge. The wheel opening has the finished edge as it should. Panel B is flanged where it meets panel A for a smooth fit.

According to Classic it has the Jeep stamped into the panels.

Our new 2 piece side repair kit includes the front quarter with the officially licensed "Jeep" stamped side repair, and the rear quarter side repair. They are designed to work together to form a complete side repair.

The rear 1/4 (panel B) has the rear 900 bend where it meets the corner and the upper edge is flanged so you can weld to your original tub edge. The wheel opening has the finished edge as it should. Panel B is flanged where it meets panel A for a smooth fit.

Thanks CJ, yeah I saw that as well awhile ago. This made me lean more toward the panels so I ended up ordering the 2 panels from Classic. We’ll see how it goes!

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
If that's all there is id definitely just put sides on it and not a whole tub

That's definitely the factory old style script Jeep name. I think the new panels come with the new style. The letters look like they are in good shape. When I got my tub from WO I cut mine of the old tub and put them on the replacement tub.

If that's all there is id definitely just put sides on it and not a whole tub

Hey Manic Mechanic, I went with the 2 side panels from Classic Enterprises. They should arrive today!

That's definitely the factory old style script Jeep name. I think the new panels come with the new style. The letters look like they are in good shape. When I got my tub from WO I cut mine of the old tub and put them on the replacement tub.
Hey CJ, I went with the 2 side panels from Classic Enterprises. They actually just arrived at the shop today so I'll go take a look later. When ordering, Classic actually has all the correct Jeep scripts per era. But I will save that original Jeep script piece, paint it the original color Avocado Mist Poly, and either frame it or hang it up. I had to replace the original tailgate as well so I'll keep that to turn into a table or hang it up as well. I'm the 3rd generation to have this Jeep so there's a lot of nostalgia associated with it. My grandfather taught me how to drive in this Jeep when I could barely reach the pedals, and it was also my first vehicle in high school around 1993 after my father and I did a $5k medium restoration on weekends that lasted about a year.

Classic Enterprises' Jeep Script 1955-1971
Classic Ent_cj5-side-panel-55-71 font.jpg

Classic Enterprises' Jeep Script 1972-1975
Classic Ent_cj5-side-panel-72-75 font.jpg

Classic Enterprises' Jeep Script 1976-1983
Classic Ent_cj5-side-panel-76-83 font.jpg

Yeah great to know the history of your Jeep. The 2nd gen. of mine is waiting patiently for it knowing it could be awhile before that happens. Good luck fixing yours up. Nice one.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks