Black Bear & Imogene Passes

Black Bear & Imogene Passes

BusaDave9

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ5 with 304 V8, T18 Transmission, Dana 20 Transfer case with TeraLow 3:1 gears, 4.88 axle gears, Detroit Locker up front and Ox Locker in back with 1 piece axle shafts, 36" SuperSwamper SX Tires, Shackle reversal, MileMarker Hydraulic winch, MSD 6A ignition.
This weekend I went over the infamous Black Bear and Imogene Passes. Any off road enthusiast that comes to SW Colorado has to check out these two trails. They are both more difficult than the Alpine Loop. Although Black Bear is rated as a very difficult trail it really doesn’t have very difficult obstacles. The reason it is rated so difficult is if you go off the trail you die. This trail goes down a 3000 foot cliff and many people have fallen 1000 feet to their death after slipping off the trail.
I headed an hour north of my home in Durango Colorado. Between Silverton and Ouray I pulled off highway 550 at Red Mountain pass. At over 11,000 feet elevation Red Mountain Pass is the 9th highest paved mountain pass in the US but I still have 2000 feet of climbing to do. By the way, I have my carb adjusted for 1000 feet above the elevation of my home. When I take my jeep out I almost always head up.
1_high_clearance_only.jpg

Although there are some difficult obstacles they all have bypasses.
2_black_bear_road.jpg

Black Bear Pass is one of the highest off-road trails in the US. Most of the trail is one way into the town of Telluride. This is because the trail is so narrow.
4_cj_on_the_edge.jpg

As you start to descend you follow a stream. Here the trail can be off-camber and rough. A month ago a Toyota rolled off the trail here. The dropoff is only 30 feet here so his injuries were minor.
5_descending_black_bear.jpg

Now we start the descent. This is more or less a cliff so they can't really widen the trail.
Here is a shot I took last year. The closest tree is more than 1000 feet below my jeep.
1000_foot_drop_at_black_bear.jpg

Here it's nice to have a manual transmission. Try to use compression braking to slow you down. You get much better control than if you use the brakes. These switchbacks require all drivers to maneuver back and forth to get turned around. I have a CJ5 and still there were very few of these switchbacks that I could just make one turn to make it around. Here is the drivers view on one of these switchbacks. I have to turn to the left. You can see my nose is pointed down. Gravity wants me to plummet over this edge. I back up and continue on.
6_black_bear_switchback.jpg

Half way down there is an old power plant perched on the cliff. It is now a private summer home. Down lower the trail widens up and is once again two way.
7_old_power_plant.jpg

The bottom of Black Bear trail ends in Telluride. Below is a view of the trail. It starts to the left of this mountain. If you look closely you can see the trail zig zag down the cliff.
8_black_bear_pass.jpg

Once in Telluride I need a way back home and since Black Bear is one way I decide to take Imogene Pass to Ouray Colorado. The road over Imogene pass comes out of Telluride from Oak Street. But Oak Street does not intersect the main street (Colorado Ave.). The town of Telluride has blocked off Oak Street and it is no longer a through street. To find it you have to take Aspen St. or Fir St. and them loop back to Oak St. There are no signs to the way to Imogene pass. If you think the town of Telluride has gone out of their way to make it difficult for off-roaders to find these mountain trails you are exactly right. Telluride is a town of high class skiers. While they like tourist coming to their shops they don't want dirty, uncivilized off-roaders rumbling through their town. On the other hand the towns of Silverton and Ouray have gone out of their way to attract four wheelers. There you will find many signs, maps, shops and even a Public Lands Office that is geared specifically to four wheelers and the mountain trails.
The beginning of Imogene Pass Road is a very narrow residential street. You may have to pull into a driveway to let a resident pass. It climbs steeply. Looking around you realize Telluride is in the end of a box canyon. It is easy to reach from the east but from the west it is a hellacious ride, even on horseback. As a mater of fact that is where the name Telluride comes from. The founders named it because it means “To Hell You Ride”.
9_imogene_pass_road.jpg

The trail rides along a ledge but it's not as dangerous as Black Bear.

10_bullion_tunnel.jpg

Here is what is called the Bullion Tunnel. It is named because, up ahead, on this road is Tomboy Mine. At the turn of the century it was a gold and silver mine and a town with a school and daily stagecoach rides back to Telluride yet it was above the tree-line at 11,000 feet. This trail out of Telluride is very narrow and hard to pass. During the tourist season it slow going and a pain trying to pass. I recommend you go late in the year to avoid the crowd. In late September or early October the weather is unpredictable but at 13,000 feet that is true at any time of the year. I took the following picture last year on June 13th at Tomboy Mine.
12_june_snow_near_tomboy_mine.jpg

When I was there yesterday a sweater or light jacket was fine.

11_twisted.jpg

Here is Imogene Pass
13_imogene_pass.jpg

On the way down from Imogene pass I saw a red fox. He was well above the tree line looking for food.

14_red_fox.jpg

Last edited:
Not worried about you at all, looks like you know how to have fun!:rock:

One day I would love to make it out west to take that ride. That looks like come beautiful scenery.

Thanks Busa, WOW!
Beautiful pictures, & a great story.
I got puckered just reading.

Trails like that always make me wonder:
What on earth were those men thinking when they built those trails?
The time, & effort involved blows me away.
Motivation must have overrode reasonable thought.

I'm sure thankful for the playground provided. :chug:

Great pix as always. Makes me want to go riding with ya.:notworthy:

Nice job! Thanks for sharing. I was out there in 88 in a rental YJ from Ouray. What a blast.

Nice job! Thanks for sharing. I was out there in 88 in a rental YJ from Ouray. What a blast.
Did you go over Black Bear Pass?
I don't know about 1988 but now there are 2 trails that none of the jeep rentals can go over: Black Bear Pass or Poughkeepsie gulch.
Black Bear because they don't want you to fall off a mountain with their jeep and Poughkeepsie because that is a particularly difficult trail and they don't want you to abuse the jeep.

That's what they told me, but my hearing wasn't working then. . .

Passed a Rookie that didn't hear well either. He was broke. Definitely not a beginners trail.

Ouray caught my eye when cruising through on an 1100 Suzuki - the 4WD trail sign like your sign. I had to check it out. So I came back and spent a couple days.

"Drive it like you rented it!"

They did miss the cuts in the tires. . . .

Here's the link to the above photo. It was from a Warn ad in the '70s
pictures of your scariest situation. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Is it real or altered? Google "black bear warn ad" and you will find many of the above pictures.
Below is a jeep that went off the Black Bear trail:
GetPicsFormaspx.jpg
Here is the link:
Worst rollover I've ever seen - JeepForum.com
They are talking about seat belts and roll bars but it's like seat belts in a jet liner that crashes from 60,000 feet. Seat belts wont help in those types of crashes. Dead is dead.
A couple from Missouri died in the above jeep.

"This picture was from a 1975 Warn winch add. I found out that this picture may not be from Black Bear but it demonstrates how narrow and scary this trail really is."

I heard the trial was narrower then. I don't remember this narrow.

BlackBearJeep.jpg

bigbearfatal_02.jpg

2004 accident - both killed. 930 ft roll.

"This picture was from a 1975 Warn winch add. I found out that this picture may not be from Black Bear but it demonstrates how narrow and scary this trail really is."

I heard the trial was narrower then. I don't remember this narrow.

BlackBearJeep.jpg

bigbearfatal_02.jpg

2004 accident - both killed. 930 ft roll.

Whoa ! Creepy.

Here are some more pictures of my trip over Black Bear & Imogene Passes. This shot was shortly after going over the summit of Black Bear Pass.
2.jpg

My jeep is in the same spot for this next picture. I just took this one from above.
382_telluride.jpg

Next is another picture of one of those switchbacks. Here I am close enough to the edge that the nearest ground in the picture is over 1000 feet below.
I wonder: Have I checked my brakes lately?
398__small.jpg

I have a hand throttle I use at times like this. I put one foot on the brake, one on the clutch and I use the hand throttle as I let out the clutch. It's like sitting at a light when someone pulls right up behind you on a very steep hill. I have never coasted back like that before but the stakes are higher now.

Here is a picture at the bottom. Fall berries.
413.jpg

Then I pulled into downtown Telluride. It's a small town with old buildings.
418_downtown_telluride.jpg

Here is a shot looking back at the direction I came from.
417_downtown_telluride.jpg

Next I drove up Tomboy road to Imogene pass. Here you can look back at Telluride in the distance. I took this at a pullout.
429_imogene_pass_road.jpg

As I climb higher I took this picture near Imogene Pass.
455_imogene_pass.jpg

I already have a picture of my CJ at Imogene pass earlier in the thread. The pass is at 13,114 feet. You can't get much higher than that in a motorized vehicle.
Here is a shot of my CJ5 at a lookout just off Imogene Pass. It's like the top of the world. You can see forever and it's all mountain tops.
464_on_top_of_the_world.jpg

On the way down I saw this fox that I mentioned earlier.
493_red_fox.jpg

Then it started to get dark and I didn't take any more pictures. It was still an hour drive down to Ouray Colorado. I passed Camp Bird, another mine. Then the road followed a steep canyon. They made a shelf road where there was no room.
shelf_road_to_camp_bird.jpg

I took the above picture a previous year as I was headed toward Imogene.

Last edited:
Really good stuff, You may be a little nuts though.

busadave you can have that poopie i ain't doin it no way in hell

I am in the CJ right behind you. It would be so cool to live in the middle of "off road central"

Nuts is a good thing.:cool:

was this a solo trip??

was this a solo trip??
Yes
A lot of my trips are solo. I go jeeping to get away.
Yes, i know that goes against everyone's advice.

I guess I got tired of having a passenger saying "NO, we are NOT going down that way!"

Last edited:
Curtis's third law; never plan to do anything you can't do by your self.:cool:

Yes
A lot of my trips are solo. I go jeeping to get away.
Yes, i know that goes against everyone's advice.

I guess I got tired of having a passenger saying "NO, we are NOT going down that way!"

I agree.
My dog has never chickened out on me.
"Dog is my copilot".

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks