Vehicle(s)
J0M93ECxxxx

J - Jeep
0 - Year 1980
M - 1980: 4-speed Manual
93 -Inches of Wheelbase?
E - 4150# GVW
C - 6 Cyl, 258 CID, 2 Bbl

Dana 300, SR-4, stock and rusting; I'm the fourth owner.
I did a search but didn't see the problem I'm having described.

I took my Supertop down so I could drop the windshield for some maintenance.

Today I tried to put it back on and the spreader bar tabs are way out of angle to hit any of the holes. I can take pictures at a later date, if someone wants to see, but basically the tabs are, at best, 1/4 inch a way from the holes they're supposed to angle into... neither the collar or the tabs are bent. I'm really puzzled.

This happen to anyone else?

At this point, I'm thinking I'm just going to lock the spreader bar collars into position with a couple of beefy hose clamps.

Anyone see a problem with that?

Thanks!
-Jon

Upon closer inspection, the collars are bent. They must have malformed when I took the top down for the first time. I was careful and held each collar as I lowered the bar. I must not have noticed they dropped over the lower hinge/bracket-thing when I locked 'em down to drive topless for a few days.

View attachment 17994

View attachment 17995

Weak metal; not impressed.

The canvas is stretching in situ.

Tomorrow I'll nudge the bar up to the nominal height, secure it with clamps and probably thru-bolt it with a 3/8ths bolt.

I might have a couple of 5/16ths bolts laying around. Might use that if it eyeballs ok.

-Jon

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks