Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7
258ci Inline 6
T-18 Manual Trans
Dana 20 T-Case
Dana 30/AMC 20 Axles
2" OME Wrangler Springs
My CJ7 has the 'family syle' roll bar in it. I am looking to get a soft top for it this summer and I am considering 2 different types/brands.

First is the classic Bestop Supertop. Right now there is a $100 rebate from Bestop, so it's is price competitive with the other top I was thinking about...

Second is the Soft Topper (Jeep Wrangler YJ Soft Tops | 1992-1995 Wrangler YJ Top | Softopper). It is a 'form fitting' style top for a YJ, but should work since I have the family rollbar, correct?

Any opinions on these two tops? Does anybody have the Soft Topper or know somebody that does (the forum search shows nothing for this top)?

I don’t know about the Soft Topper but I do know Bestop and I would stick with that as it is not form fitting. I assume the bars in your CJ7 are out of a YJ and installed to spec but fitment could be a problem if not.

Yes, my roll bar is out a YJ, and I have no experience with soft tops at all (this is my first jeep). I like the form fitting look and supposed ease of remove of the Soft Topper. Is the Bestop hard/cumbersome to fold up or remove when you want to go topless? Is the Soft Topper good quality?

I have narrowed it down to these two tops because: 1. I need all the hardware (both come with hardware); 2. Bestop is the standard by which others are measured (i.e. good quality, I don't want to buy a cheap top and have fitment issues); 3. I like the idea of having a 'safari' top by just removing the windows (which I believe is doable with either top).

Yes I think you will need to get one for a YJ to clear the front bars that run to the W/S frame

I have replaced a top on a YJ and picked the BesTop Super Top in Sail cloth. I was very happy with it while I had the YJ. Not hard to put down or up if you figured out the tips on what to do in what order. About 5 minutes either way. Make sure that you get the angled pieces that go along the windshield sides so that the bars that go over the top of the doors have something to lock onto. And I assume you would be getting all of the rails to go with either top.

...Make sure that you get the angled pieces that go along the windshield sides so that the bars that go over the top of the doors have something to lock onto. And I assume you would be getting all of the rails to go with either top.

I have zero hardware for a soft top right now, so I will need everything. According to Bestop and Soft Topper, their products come with everything I should need. Based on your statement, I'm wondering if that is correct?

Moght be worth it to ask. But they probably will come with those pieces then. Good luck with the decision. I always wanted a framless top when I had my YJ but never did get one. And now that I have the Scrambler, it won't happen.

Moght be worth it to ask. But they probably will come with those pieces then. Good luck with the decision. I always wanted a framless top when I had my YJ but never did get one. And now that I have the Scrambler, it won't happen.

So Gr8dain, you would never consider puting a soft top on the Scrambler?

I did not mean for it to sound like that. What i meant was that now that i have the Scrambler, I won't have a frameless soft top. I currently have a TigerTop on mine. And I will probably keep that one on there until I don't have enough Duck Tape to cover the new holes.

I am planning on getting a half hard top once the kids are at a point that I won't be needing more than 2 seats. But for now, the full soft top is doing the trick when I have to have a top on. Since it is my DD, I have to have something.

I did not mean for it to sound like that. What i meant was that now that i have the Scrambler, I won't have a frameless soft top. I currently have a TigerTop on mine. And I will probably keep that one on there until I don't have enough Duck Tape to cover the new holes.

I am planning on getting a half hard top once the kids are at a point that I won't be needing more than 2 seats. But for now, the full soft top is doing the trick when I have to have a top on. Since it is my DD, I have to have something.
I see. Thanks. I currently have hard top and wish I had the full soft top, but price of a new tiger top is prohibitive for me. Do you have the wooden rails still in the rear, or did you remove those when you installed rear seats and the tiger top? I love the traditional look of the scrambler, but it is not as practical as yours sounds.

The rails were long gone when I bought my Scrambler. And it had the TigerTop already. It did help my purchase that it had a full soft top. But after a few years and not really dragging the kids and friends around anymore, I don't need the rear seat as much. But it will stay for a while longer.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks