Best lift kits for the money?

Best lift kits for the money?
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac G6, 79 CJ7, Modified 84 C10
So i've been searching for a 4in. lift kit for my 79 CJ7. I've came across a few good ones for the money. So far it's been Skyjacker and Rough Country. I'm still not sure on anything yet. Just wanted to see any opinions you guys may have. Thanks!

IMHO, being that your Jeep is a 79 just about any 4" kit will work just fine. There is only so much you can do with two sets of springs and a couple of angle shims. Skjacker is know for it's 'Softride' series. I have a Rancho kit on my CJ and it is most definitely not a 'Softride'!

Make sure that the shocks you decide on are correct for the lift you add.

Gotcha! Thanks for the input. I'm going to replace everything for suspension. What's on there now is about shot. My shackles are pretty much gone. So it's gonna need completely restored. Yay for me (well actually my poor husband)! I have another month to keep driving her,then back in the garage she goes for more improvements! Can't wait! Now i just need to make up my mind on what kit to use. Like you said, almost any will do. Thanks anyway! :)

PB&M, are you sure your shackles are worn out? There really isn't much that can go wrong with them as they are just basically two plates of steel. The bushings in the springs may be worn but when you get new springs, they come with new bushings...

Also, if you really want to help that CJ in the suspension department, many use and recommend a reverse shackle kit. It moves the shackles from the end of the frame (front or rear) to the inside. I believe on a 79 you have to do some welding but I may be wrong though.

Just noticed an article with a link was automatically created in the news forum... Check it out...

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f92/spring-swingers-361/

My shackles are pretty worn. They've really started rusting away in the last few years. Plus it didn't help the jeep sitting for about 11 years before i got my hands back on it. Anyone know anything about Teraflex revolver shackles? Any good? Or don't bother?

My shackles are pretty worn. They've really started rusting away in the last few years. Plus it didn't help the jeep sitting for about 11 years before i got my hands back on it. Anyone know anything about Teraflex revolver shackles? Any good? Or don't bother?
Teraflex shackles are GREAT! For your CJ (76 - 86) the part number would be 1023000. I have set on my CJ. :) You can buy much cheaper ones if you don't feeling like forking over the $200+ though.

Teraflex 001023000 - TeraFlex Front Revolver Shackle Pair for 76-86 Jeep CJ - Quadratec
VS
Warrior Products 114 - Warrior Products Leaf Spring Shackle Kit for 76-95 Jeep® CJ5, CJ7 & Wrangler YJ - Quadratec

Thanks for the help and all the links! After some extensive research i've finally figured out what i'm going for. Looks like i'm going with the Teraflex shackles and 4in. Rough Country lift. :banana:

I had Rough country springs in a few of my bigger trucks, but the ride was so brutal I kept away from them for my Jeeps. I would recommend a soft spring for a little tub like a CJ so you don't get hammered on when you drive it. you may want to stay away from double wrapped, or military springs, as they limit movement off road. The ones I have on my 7 now are my favorites so far, Skyjacker soft rides. I put them on about 13-14 years ago, and they are still as good as they were when new. Even with a 90 lb winch and a 30 lb bumper hanging over them, they never sagged, and It sits perfectly level front to back and side to side. HD spring shackles are (to me) a must when you lift a Jeep, and for what It's worth, I would remove the spring hangers and throw them the hell away! and replace them with heavy duty ones. (I have a coffee can full of broken ones) I did a shackle reverse on another 7 some years ago, and found that it was SLIGHTLY better off road, but on the highway, it felt squirrely and fidgety, and I never did another one after that. remember that you will need to add new brake line extensions for that much lift as well. These are just my opinions from things I have done on my own Jeeps in the past. Good luck with your upgrades, and piks would be great if you can take some!!

Thanks for the help and all the links! After some extensive research i've finally figured out what i'm going for. Looks like i'm going with the Teraflex shackles and 4in. Rough Country lift. :banana:
Sounds good... I sure hope you have your kidney belts as my Rancho Springs are BRUTAL!

But, it is a Jeep - Right??? :)

I think i'm going to take a short trip to Summit Racing (lucky me, it's about 5 mins. away!) Maybe i'll hit the jack pot and find some stuff on the clearance rack (where i snagged my headers from). I guess i haven't really made up my mind. I'm a woman! What do you expect?

I'm almost glad I don't live near Summit! I spend enough money as it is!

Good luck!

I did exactly what you are looking at doing. I got the 4 inch kit from rough country, but be prepared it's not called "rough" country for nothin. I also got new shackles from my local shop, Con-ferr Shackles Used. warrior also makes a similar shackle, since con-ferr is closed.

I'll put in a vote for the SkyJacker SoftRide springs. I actually like the way my CJ5 rides with the 4" lift versions.
I also have extended shackles and a front shackle reversal.

FWIW, I've heard 'not-good' things about revolver shackles in off-road situations. (sorry CJ! :laugh:) Might look into them a little more before you blow that kind of $$ on them.

I heard about a few 'not good' situations also, b ut got them a while back anyway. So far I have not encountered ANY bad points, only good. My CJ rode smother and the increase in spring droop and articulation was massive!

You really have to be careful though, you must make sure your shocks don't bottom out and your drivesaft has enough slip - don't forget about the brake lines either... :D

After having them for a while I will never go back to my old lifted shackles...

I found a pic of my TeraFlex shackle. As you can see, when it is extended there is one heck of allot of extension.

Attachments

• shackle.jpg
    shackle.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 532
We were at Summit again today (i'm tellin' ya. It sucks living close by!) Found some tubing side steps on the clearance for jeep, 75 bucks! So i of course had to get em. Then onto the lift kits. I'm going with a 4 in. from ProComp and just using heavy duty shackles. I'm still not all sure about the TeraFlex ones and all the details that go along with them. So for the time being, heavy duty will work. But thanks!

We were at Summit again today (i'm tellin' ya. It sucks living close by!) Found some tubing side steps on the clearance for jeep, 75 bucks! So i of course had to get em. Then onto the lift kits. I'm going with a 4 in. from ProComp and just using heavy duty shackles. I'm still not all sure about the TeraFlex ones and all the details that go along with them. So for the time being, heavy duty will work. But thanks!

Good luck, it is real easy to install the CJ suspension, so you should have no trouble. My lift kit only took two days to put in and I had many bolts that had to be cut out due to rust seize.

I was watching some YouTube today. Browsing the CJ7 vids. and came across one that caught my eye on the suspension. Very nice jeep! He had dual shocks on both sides on the front. Got me wondering. He had to of custom made it, or maybe not. Either way, i've never seen that and thought it was pretty cool.

You can but dual shock kits for your CJ. Most bolt on to the frame and you change out your lower spring clamps where the u-bolts go through.

I just did some research on it. Looks pretty simple, but my luck it won't be. Plus just more money to spend. Screw that! That's a little too extreme for me anyway.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks