Trans Bellhousing Replacement

Trans Bellhousing Replacement

HossPete

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'78 CJ7, Golden Eagle,. 304 V8, T150, D20
Bellhousing Removal - I have a '78 CJ7 with a three-speed and an AMC304. Just rebuilt the engine, put it back in and went to install my clutch assembly bracket. Something wasn't right - I reached up and grabbed the bell housing where the clutch bracket bolts in, and the whole piece of bell housing came out in my hand. Broke right off.

I've sourced a new bellhousing, but my question is - how best to go about changing it. Is it as simple as dropping the tranny/transfer case and just unbolting the new one? How do I navigate the clutch lever? Pretty sure I can figure it out, but wanted to see if there were any tips/tricks from anyone who's changed out a bell housing before.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Bellhousing Crack.jpg
    Bellhousing Crack.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Bellhousing Chunk.jpg
    Bellhousing Chunk.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Bellhousing Piece.jpg
    Bellhousing Piece.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 3
When I removed mine prior to the engine/tranny swap, I removed skid plate, removed the drive shafts, removed the tunnel cover inside the Jeep, removed the shifters, used a low profile floor jack and a piece of plywood under the tranny/x-fer case, unbolted the bell housing from the back of the engine, slid the assembly back enough to clear the shaft, and lowered it all down. I did have to reach the top bell housing bolts from under the hood rather than from underneath the vehicle. Actually easier than I expected. When I installed the new GM V8 and auto trans, same process in reverse. I installed the engine, bolted on the torque converter, and then used the jack and plywood to raise up and install the trans and x-fer case pre-assembled together as a unit. I have a 4" spring lift and 35" tires, so no ground clearance issues. But if I had a lift, it would have been even easier.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks