Battery kill switch

Battery kill switch

Scout1067

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ7, 258, T176, D300, D30 front diff, AMC 20 rear diff, Weber Carburetor, BDS 2.5" lift
I am wondering if installing a kill switch on my CJ7 would make sense. I don't have a radio or anything else that needs to draw power when I am not driving so I am giving serious thought to installing one as an anti-theft measure.

What does the community think, good idea or not?

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Better off and way easier to mount a switch that cuts power to the coil.
A real battery kill switch is pretty good size to handle the high amperage demands of starters.

or, if in an area that causes concern, just disconnect the coil wire. The soft top makes me keep valuables somewhere else anyways and I try not to leave my friend in bad places.

It's just a thought. It's not like I drive my CJ into the ghetto. Plus, I am half convinced that my manual choke will thwart most would be thieves.

Is there a coil fuse on the fuse block? I just replaced my wiring with a Painless harness, and it has a coil fuse. All I need to do is pull it out and it won't fire up.

Go with a modern anti theft system. You will know where your vehicle is even if it’s trailered off. You’ll get tired of manual disabling eventually.

Or go with a Max Rockatansky...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Is there a coil fuse on the fuse block? I just replaced my wiring with a Painless harness, and it has a coil fuse. All I need to do is pull it out and it won't fire up.
I put the Painless in too this pastspring, I will check it out.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

I put the Painless in too this past spring, I will check it out.

If it's a Painless harness, it'll have a coil fuse. It even mentions the fact that it can be used as a theft deterrent in the instructions.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks