Bad harmonic balancer symptoms?

Bad harmonic balancer symptoms?

Geep

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
73 CJ5 stock 304 V8 , 94 GMC Sierra SLE 4X
Just had a front and rear main seal installed on my 304 V8. During the process they somehow cracked the harmonic balancer . They replaced it with a used one at there cost. But now I have a vibration between 20 and 50 mph and an occaisonial rattle noise coming from the engine area when I let off on the gas ! Does this sound like a bad balancer ? Right now Iam a bit ticked off and need a liitle advice before I go back and question them about it

if you did not have that vibration before the seal fix then that is probably the source of your problem. Your existing balancer might have to be replaced with a new one. Hopefully the outfit that did the work will stand by what they did.

if you did not have that vibration before the seal fix then that is probably the source of your problem. Your existing balancer might have to be replaced with a new one. Hopefully the outfit that did the work will stand by what they did.

I dont hear the rattle noise anymore but still have the vibration.I took it out for a ride earlier today and the vibe seems to start at about 20 mph. I can let off the gas at around 50mph and the vibe stops pretty much and comes back when I accelorate. Think I will take a look at the driveshaft and Ujoints ?

Driveshafts will vibrate and wear out when a suspension lift has be done and the axle pinion angles have not been compensated for.

If it didn't do it before you took to them and now it does then I would be back there demanding they fix it right. Don't wast your time looking at u-joints and the like the problem is with what they have done. IMO

Im with mtn. Old rule in flying, " if all of a sudden things get out of norm, undo the last thing you did."

Check the bolts that hold the pulley to the balancer for tightness,then take it back to the shop.

Thanks everybody ! I will definatly go back to the shop monday and talk with the owner. If they deny it or refuse to do anything about it..........?????

Can't believe they replaced what they broke with a used one "at their cost". I doubt it cost them anything. Probably one they had lying around the shop.

When I was turning wrenches full time and something like that happened, you'd get a NEW one on my dime and get a good explanation why when you picked up the vehicle. I also had a bad habit of asking the owner to take it on a test drive before calling the job done, and report back to me if there were any abnormalities.

Take it back to 'em and explain the "new" issue and ask them to make it right. If they want a repeat business customer that'll recommend them to others, they oughta jump right on it.

Vote once daily!

Replacing it with a used one is a bit strange IMO, but I've seen shops do all kinds of weird things to control costs. I would have to agree with everyone else "if it wasn't doing it before it shouldn't be doing it now. May I suggest one quick check before you return it to the shop ? With the engine running observe the balancer and see if it has any play in it with accessories on, if it does that is a good sing that the balancer is no good. Good luck

Replacing it with a used one is a bit strange IMO, but I've seen shops do all kinds of weird things to control costs. I would have to agree with everyone else "if it wasn't doing it before it shouldn't be doing it now. May I suggest one quick check before you return it to the shop ? With the engine running observe the balancer and see if it has any play in it with accessories on, if it does that is a good sing that the balancer is no good. Good luck

That was one of the first things I looked at when I got him home. Thats when I noticed the balancer was a used one, but it seem to rotate true(best I can tell) ! The only accessories on this ride for now is ???

Sorry, by accessories I meant things like A/C compressor or power steering. Loads on it will put more force on the balancer, make the vibration if it is there more notice able.

Have you tried to replicate the vibrations without driving it down the road?

With the hood raised, twist the throttle on it to rev it up to "road speed" rpm and see if you have the vibration. If you take the drive train out of the equation and it still shakes, at least you know it's originating under the hood somewhere.

If the vibes aren't there, it doesn't necessarily mean the engine isn't the source. You won't have the torque resistance from the engine pulling the Jeep, and that may be a factor to consider. But if it is still vibrating, you'll pretty much know the shop got something outta whack.

Vote for our site every day!

Your crank assy. as in crank, balancer, rods,pistons and flywheel have to be balanced as one. You can not balance or change one without doing the whole thing. that is the nature of the AMC V8. Changing the balancer alone will result in vibration.:(

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks