Axle U joints Lock nut size

Axle U joints Lock nut size

Petescj

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ-7 258 / T-18 / Dana 300 31 in All Terrains.
1978 CJ-7 304 / TH 400 / Quadratrac 32 in Mud Terrains
So I went down to swap out my axle u joints but didnt get very far. Took off the caliper and hub and thought I had something for the lock nut for the rotor but...

What size is that sucker 2 1/4 ? Its big. Anyone know the correct size? :)

The factory spindle nut size is 2 1/16. As big as that nut is, you can fudge it with anything slightly larger. The torque requirement is low, so it isn't a high-impact situation removing or replacing it. ;)

Thanks Jim. I tried eyeballing it with a tape measure. I know I had one before. If I cant find it at least I know the right size now. Thanks again. :chug:

most parts houses carry a socket to fit that, It looks kind of 3rd world but it works well and costs less than $20. About the only real socket I could find in this size was a Snap -on and you can guess about how much it cost. Double that number.:D

Yeah I didnt have a "real" socket that size. IIRC it looked more like a piece of exhaust tube than a socket. Im going to have to look around. My nieghbor across the alley works on dump trucks and such so I can usually borrow anything larger from him. Id rather like to own this item though.

most parts houses carry a socket to fit that, It looks kind of 3rd world but it works well and costs less than $20. About the only real socket I could find in this size was a Snap -on and you can guess about how much it cost. Double that number.:D

Tried a bunch of chain stores to no avail. Then I called Walcks 4wd. Bingo , gotta head up there. Pretty cheap too:

Willys Jeep Parts, Restoration & Wiring from Walck's 4 Wheel Drive | Spindle Nut Wrench

a-692n.jpg

I have the same 3rd world socket IO...:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom