Axle U joints Lock nut size

Axle U joints Lock nut size

Petescj

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ-7 258 / T-18 / Dana 300 31 in All Terrains.
1978 CJ-7 304 / TH 400 / Quadratrac 32 in Mud Terrains
So I went down to swap out my axle u joints but didnt get very far. Took off the caliper and hub and thought I had something for the lock nut for the rotor but...

What size is that sucker 2 1/4 ? Its big. Anyone know the correct size? :)

The factory spindle nut size is 2 1/16. As big as that nut is, you can fudge it with anything slightly larger. The torque requirement is low, so it isn't a high-impact situation removing or replacing it. ;)

Thanks Jim. I tried eyeballing it with a tape measure. I know I had one before. If I cant find it at least I know the right size now. Thanks again. :chug:

most parts houses carry a socket to fit that, It looks kind of 3rd world but it works well and costs less than $20. About the only real socket I could find in this size was a Snap -on and you can guess about how much it cost. Double that number.:D

Yeah I didnt have a "real" socket that size. IIRC it looked more like a piece of exhaust tube than a socket. Im going to have to look around. My nieghbor across the alley works on dump trucks and such so I can usually borrow anything larger from him. Id rather like to own this item though.

most parts houses carry a socket to fit that, It looks kind of 3rd world but it works well and costs less than $20. About the only real socket I could find in this size was a Snap -on and you can guess about how much it cost. Double that number.:D

Tried a bunch of chain stores to no avail. Then I called Walcks 4wd. Bingo , gotta head up there. Pretty cheap too:

Willys Jeep Parts, Restoration & Wiring from Walck's 4 Wheel Drive | Spindle Nut Wrench

a-692n.jpg

I have the same 3rd world socket IO...:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks