Axle storage.

Axle storage.

Vikingone

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
85' CJ7, 4.2 Liter, swapped in T18
So I’m in the process of disassembling, cleaning and painting the axles and such. I want to completely tear down everything. But honestly especially with everything going on it’s gonna be a while till I can buy new parts. The Jeep project is going to take years to complete anyway. Is there a proper way to store the axles to prevent rust. (I love in south Florida. Very humid). Or should I just work around everything and keep the axles together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve torn mine apart for the same purpose. It’s been sitting in my garage in various stages of assembly while I work different components since last summer.

Nothing is rusted. After I disassembled and cleaned everything, I put all the parts I was replacing in a box. Everything I was keeping I just wiped with some diff fluid and it’s been sitting on my work bench. Other parts like brake rotors and calipers I prepped and painted right away.

It all looks fine.

I was concerned is out the internals of the diff. But I can easily just add fluid and move it around.

I was concerned is out the internals of the diff. But I can easily just add fluid and move it around.

You could do that or honestly, if you remove them just make sure you wipe them down occasionally with fluid. They’ll be fine

I’ve torn mine apart for the same purpose. It’s been sitting in my garage in various stages of assembly while I work different components since last summer.

Nothing is rusted. After I disassembled and cleaned everything, I put all the parts I was replacing in a box. Everything I was keeping I just wiped with some diff fluid and it’s been sitting on my work bench. Other parts like brake rotors and calipers I prepped and painted right away.

It all looks fine.

What about the axle tube. It didn’t rust?

I've shot things with WD40 from time-to-time to keep them from rusting. Smaller items you can do this with as well and put them in Tupperware, or better yet Ziplock bag them and put the bags in Tupperware.

Insulating them from ambient air however possible is the key.

What about the axle tube. It didn’t rust?

Once I got the tubes broken down I cleaned, blasted and painted them. They kept fine.

Once I got the tubes broken down I cleaned, blasted and painted them. They kept fine.

What about inside the tubes. No issues with rust build up?

Rem-Oil sold at Walmart is a good rust inhibitor. I use it when I detail my CJ for the undercarriage.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks