Anybody used radiator shutters in winter?

Anybody used radiator shutters in winter?

tinhorn

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Street Jeep for snow and ice, still on blocks in the driveway. '73 CJ5, 258 inline six, T18 tranny, Model 20 transfer case, Dana 30/44 w/ 4.27 ratio (soon to be 3.73), original Cutlas hubs, half-cab waiting to be installed. Daily driver is a 20-year-old Mazda pickup.
So I've read several posts about how weenie the CJ5 heater is. Then I recalled the trucks I've seen with radiator covers, and old cars with actual shutters over the radiators. Why not adapt shutters to a Jeep for winter driving?

I might play around with that, it would be much more refined than the ol' redneck cardboard trick.:D

It's true you don't need as much air flow in the winter to cool an engine but it won't really change the engine running temp and I don't' think it makes any difference with the heater. The engine coolant warms up to 195° and then the thermostat will open and pass water through the radiator. The thermostat will regulate the coolant at aprox 195° (actually it takes a bit for the thermostat to fully open)

When the thermostat is closed blocking air from the radiator won't make much difference since coolant is already blocked from the radiator.

Check out this thread: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/winter-running-temp-7572/

It's true you don't need as much air flow in the winter to cool an engine but it won't really change the engine running temp and I don't' think it makes any difference with the heater. The engine coolant warms up to 195° and then the thermostat will open and pass water through the radiator. The thermostat will regulate the coolant at aprox 195° (actually it takes a bit for the thermostat to fully open)

When the thermostat is closed blocking air from the radiator won't make much difference since coolant is already blocked from the radiator.

Check out this thread: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/winter-running-temp-7572/
:agree: mine runs the same temp wether its 0 or 70 deg out

Also trucks and radiator covers relate to diesel motors where running temperature is more critical for proper burn.

I have used radiator(cardboard) covers on my falcon. All it does is restrict airflow allowing the engine to warm up faster. So you'll get the minute amount of heat the cj produces a few minutes faster. If you do it, then make sure the cardboard isn't against the radiator, it needs a little space between it. I know international harvester quit using radiator shutters on ther tractors when they quit making the kerosene powered option about 1953

I've seen black naughahide covers cut to fit and have snaps on them.. but, like everyone says, big deal, heat a little faster.. better off doing the blower motor conversion, then check your actual temp of the coolant, maybe in the winter, a different thermostat? another option I thought of years ago, like the VW, wrap the exhaust with a housing that collects that heat, then vent the heated air under your front seats with some duct work..

another option I thought of years ago, like the VW, wrap the exhaust with a housing that collects that heat, then vent the heated air under your front seats with some duct work..
Now that's a clever idea. I've seen a few old aftermarket heaters on craigslist, too--thought about adding one of those.

its the next best thing to having heated seats.. ha

My brother had a 48' model B with shutters on the radiator. It also had no thermostat, or water pump.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks