Any Metal Detectors users out there?

Any Metal Detectors users out there?

zombiehunter

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 258 w/5 spd
My wife and I have decided we want to start doing a little treasure hunting. We have bought and returned a few Big 5 Sporting Goods models and were hoping, can anyone recommend a decent metal detector that wont break the bank and actually works?

Been watching Diggers. Thinking I need one too to find some "Nectar"

I think they are using high end Garret's.

What ones did you give the thumbs down to?

We bought these last summer. One was made by BARSKA ($159) I believe and the other maybe a OZARK. Now it might be because I didn't know what the heck I was doing but those darn things couldn't find bolts that I threw on the ground. Good luck if you get into it and keep me posted I will do the same.

Garrets can be had for around $150 and go up from there.
Whites are my pick.
White's Metal Detectors - Home

However that being said if you plan on doing it spend a little extra you'll have more success and more fun. Check out treasure hunting forums or google metal detector reviews. I did both before I made my decision and was glad I did, I got the one I like and enjoy the first time. Spent a little extra but it's worth it. Spring for one of those pointers, it's the wand the digger guys use it's handy in hunting up tiny object in dug out dirt.
Oh grab one of those fold up military shovels, not the cheap walmart one hit up military surplus online or in person. They are great for treasure hunting and make a great weapon agaist the random zombie.

Depends on what you want to go after. I hunt for gold so I have a Fisher Gold Bug 2. My next will be a dual purpose MD and will be a Tesoro Lobo Super Traq. Do a search on Google for reviews & test but here is a guide to start you off,

Metal Detector Buyers Guide

Just like Jeeps there are a bunch of forums that will also help you, here are the three I follow,

Nugget Shooter Forums
Arizona Outback's Prospecting Forum
TreasureNet - The Original Treasure Hunting Website

And this is the guy I bought mine from,

Gerry's Metal Detectors

You can also find videos on youtube of any MD you may consider.

hope this helps,
rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Diggers uses Garrett AT pro. Awesome detector. you can get one for 650-700. Ace 150 or 250 would be good starter detectors.

I've got a cheap White's that I upgraded the coil on. It's pretty cool. My FiL has several Whites including a Classic ID 5 & a DFX.

I found this at a boy scout camp afew years ago. The area had been combed by other before, but because I was new, I was going slowly and digging everything.

297302_44822240130_3418950_n.jpg

what about the bounty hunter models?

I was actually looking into getting one yesterday just for fun. I have an old (200+ yrs) family farm so im sure theres stuff around. Also, being a farm, probably lots of scrap iron. whats good to avoid that stuff?

The better quality detectors will accurately sound off on different material. buzz on iron and bing on silver for instance. Invest in a headset it helps

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks