Steering Another loose-*** steering post

RI CJ5

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ5 360. 4" lift 33" Coopers.
So I just bought a 1980 CJ5. 360, 4" lift, 33's. PO did a frame off resto. Beautiful work. Everything is new and tight and clean. But the thing wanders all over the road. I have been searching the web for days but outside of " That's just the way they drive" {which is true to a point, but I had an '85 with 33's and a 3" lift and it wasn't nearly as bad} and "Mine drives nice at 90mph on the highway" which sound like a dream, there is nothing I can see to do. Steering box has no play although I cant adj due to stripped allen nut. So, besides adding a steering stabilizer, which will help but not cure. I can see the springs flex side to side when I turn wheel. Whole body shifts, but don't want to crank shackles any tighter and all tie rod ends are tight. So, are there any other ideas out there?
Thanks in advance, Johnny

Solution
Well, like I said, the toe needed a bit of correction. In about 1/2" or so to about 1/8". The big problem was that the PO, in 'Tightening' the steering box, cranked it all the way down and it was bound up. With one guy on the wheel back and forth, and another on the steering box adjustment screw, the broke loose the screw and backed it out 2 turns or so. the worm gear was binding. That adjustment screw is a small turn, not keep turning until it's tight. Much better now, although i'll still need to tweak it once the weather gets better.
Now on to the Carb. used almost 1/2 a tank going 35 miles round trip! Seems a bit rich!
Well, like I said, the toe needed a bit of correction. In about 1/2" or so to about 1/8". The big problem was that the PO, in 'Tightening' the steering box, cranked it all the way down and it was bound up. With one guy on the wheel back and forth, and another on the steering box adjustment screw, the broke loose the screw and backed it out 2 turns or so. the worm gear was binding. That adjustment screw is a small turn, not keep turning until it's tight. Much better now, although i'll still need to tweak it once the weather gets better.
Now on to the Carb. used almost 1/2 a tank going 35 miles round trip! Seems a bit rich!

Solution
I see what you’re saying. Overtighening that screw will definitely cause a very bad binding effect, but not make it wonder side to side. Adjust it at mid steer range only to get rid of play and STOP at that point. Thanks for informing.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks