Build Thread Another CJ in my stable

Build Thread Another CJ in my stable

Thorwon

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1966 CJ5 134"F" 3sp with Warn OD
Well I traded my bass boat for a 81 CJ7 today. I don't have any pics yet but I will if it stops raining tomorrow.
The PO did something to this jeep that should never happen to any jeep, he started painting it pink.:confused:
My wife said she will always call it "Barbie". O well it'll be OD green as soon as I can arrange a place to paint it.:D
It has very little rust, the floor pans look great, the frame looks great. It has a spring lift, don't know what brand or how much, I'd guess about 3"-4" and about a 1.5" body lift, with new AT 33-12.50- 15 tires.:D
The engine is a ford 302:eek: with a 3 speed and it has power steering.
I will be looking for a 258 local.:notworthy:

Theres nothing wrong with a 302. I had a couple of early Broncos years ago, and those 302's ran well.

Theres nothing wrong with a 302. I had a couple of early Broncos years ago, and those 302's ran well.

I had a 74 bronco with a 302 in it. I didn't like it off road, you have to wind it up for it to make power. It ran great on the street.
I have a 74 CJ5 with a 304, a 66 with a 134 f head and I think I want a 258 for this CJ7. :D
Who knows I may decide to go radical with it and find a 401, and 3/4 ton axles to put in it.:punk:

You could always donate that 302 to me.:D I have been looking into putting a similar set up in the YJ project that me and the boy are working on.

Cant wait to see pictures of the Jeep. When you do could you get some pictures of the engine and how it mounts into the frame.:)

Put aussie 351 heads on the 302 it'll make good bottom end TQ and run a single 2.5" exhaust. It'll be all the power you need to break stuff, LOL.

Btw: quoted from a mustang mag.

"When building a Clevor Ford small-block, the 351C-4V head is the best choice only if you're reaching for high revs. This head has huge ports and closed, high-compression wedge chambers. The larger ports work best at high rpm because that's where we have air velocity, which makes torque. Closed chambers yield higher compression ratios, which means power. The 351C-2V head is designed for low-rpm street use. It's perfect for a street driver because the smaller ports provide air velocity at lower engine speeds. Again, air velocity makes torque. The larger, open chambers yield a lower compression ratio for use with today's pump gas. With the right piston, you can achieve 10.0:1 compression with this head.

The Australian Cleveland head offers the best of both worlds--smaller ports (like the 351C-2V head) for low-end torque and closed wedge chambers (like the 351C-4V head) for power increases."

Last edited:
Put aussie 351 heads on the 302 it'll make good bottom end TQ and run a single 2.5" exhaust. It'll be all the power you need to break stuff, LOL.

LOL breaking stuff isn't my goal. I like to be able to crawl through stuff. I don't mind winding one up if need be but I prefer to use the engine's TQ.
The guy I got it from drove it 75 miles to get here and all I've got to say about him is he is very brave or very crazy. The gas pedal sticks, and you have to pull the clutch pedal up with your foot. I think the problem with both is the body lift, which will be removed as soom as I get a new body mount kit.:)
O yea, it has REDNECK half doors, they are made from OSB (partical board).:laugh:
I'll get pics as soon as it quits raining.

You could always donate that 302 to me.:D I have been looking into putting a similar set up in the YJ project that me and the boy are working on.

Cant wait to see pictures of the Jeep. When you do could you get some pictures of the engine and how it mounts into the frame.:)

Send me a good 258 and I'll swap it to ya. But you have to pay shipping both ways.:D

I can't wait to see the doors.:laugh:

LOL breaking stuff isn't my goal. I like to be able to crawl through stuff. I don't mind winding one up if need be but I prefer to use the engine's TQ.
The guy I got it from drove it 75 miles to get here and all I've got to say about him is he is very brave or very crazy. The gas pedal sticks, and you have to pull the clutch pedal up with your foot. I think the problem with both is the body lift, which will be removed as soom as I get a new body mount kit.:)
O yea, it has REDNECK half doors, they are made from OSB (partical board).:laugh:
I'll get pics as soon as it quits raining.

Brock, I might be wrong, but the article stated " 351C" for small block application. IIRC the 351C & M motors were big blocks compared to the 351 W which used 289/302 type heads and intake

Re: Another CJ in my stable Pics

Well here they are.
There is a lot to do before I can put it on the road.
The body lift and the front shackles have got to go, the exhaust has got to be moved off the rear dif., it's got to have better seats, a new windshield AND SOME OTHER COLOR PAINT!!!!:D
DSCF1310.jpg
DSCF1309.jpg
DSCF1308.jpg
DSCF1311.jpg
DSCF1314.jpg
DSCF1317.jpg
DSCF1318.jpg
DSCF1321.jpg
DSCF1323.jpg
DSCF1312.jpg
DSCF1322.jpg
DSCF1330.jpg
DSCF1329.jpg
DSCF1325.jpg
DSCF1326.jpg

Re: Another CJ in my stable Pics

Wew, that paint job facepalm.png, all in all though, it looks like it's a good solid foundation.

If you want to ditch that dash pad though, I know someone that would be willing to take it off your hands smiley756.png

I like it Thorwon, your lucky you got another one, i have to go around town on the southside of my town and do some asking and research because i know where a CJ5 with a plow is,he has another jeep back there to in this lot but all i could see from the road is a haggard top, so i may luck out and find the tub i need right in town. But i guarantee that tub would be rusted out, and then if i go up the street a few blocks ive had my eye on either another 7 or a early YJ, it has circle head lights so im thinkin CJ7, i havent got around to looking at it but its been in the same spot for atleast 2 months straight so im gonna go so if i can find the owner and get it, there is also a CJ5 down there to. I just need to go ask some people because i could potentially have 3 CJ5's and 2 more CJ7s :D im pretty sure i could build a few jeeps with all those!

Wew, that paint job facepalm.png, all in all though, it looks like it's a good solid foundation.

If you want to ditch that dash pad though, I know someone that would be willing to take it off your hands smiley756.png

Not sure what I'll be doing with it yet but I'll keep that in mind.

I like it Thorwon, your lucky you got another one, i have to go around town on the southside of my town and do some asking and research because i know where a CJ5 with a plow is,he has another jeep back there to in this lot but all i could see from the road is a haggard top, so i may luck out and find the tub i need right in town. But i guarantee that tub would be rusted out, and then if i go up the street a few blocks ive had my eye on either another 7 or a early YJ, it has circle head lights so im thinkin CJ7, i havent got around to looking at it but its been in the same spot for atleast 2 months straight so im gonna go so if i can find the owner and get it, there is also a CJ5 down there to. I just need to go ask some people because i could potentially have 3 CJ5's and 2 more CJ7s :D im pretty sure i could build a few jeeps with all those!

Sounds like you just need to open a Jeep store!!:D

Ok so its a little "purdy" right now. Thats an easy fix. You can start selling some of the old parts you dont want and throw it right back in the Jeep. Time for the Bass Master buildup thread. :D How much would you say the bass boat was worth?

Ok so its a little "purdy" right now. Thats an easy fix. You can start selling some of the old parts you dont want and throw it right back in the Jeep. Time for the Bass Master buildup thread. :D How much would you say the bass boat was worth?

The build will be very slow on this one. I am in the process of moving, we just bought a new place and I've had to put every bit of extra money (can you really have extra money?) into the new place.
I had the boat listed at $1800, would I have gave $1800 for this jeep, no, but I haven't put the boat in the water in over a year. I just got tired of looking at it sitting in the yard. So when he offered to trade and deliver it I said sure.:)

The build will be very slow on this one. I am in the process of moving, we just bought a new place and I've had to put every bit of extra money (can you really have extra money?) into the new place.
I had the boat listed at $1800, would I have gave $1800 for this jeep, no, but I haven't put the boat in the water in over a year. I just got tired of looking at it sitting in the yard. So when he offered to trade and deliver it I said sure.:)

My mom bitches at my dad because he bought the one thing any man wants a fishing boat, well he paid 3500 for the boat and went and talked to his buddy at a marine shop and he sold him a new 90 hp mercury four stroke for 7k instead of 10k . The reason my mom tells him to sell it constantly is we only get it out one or twice a year but he will never part with it, if the world was going to end im pretty sure he would be in his redone 86 Suburban and be towing his boat to the lake :chug: if he ever sells that suburban im pulling the engine in that thing, its got so much low end toque that would accompany the jeep well, it was built for towing. And as far as the jeep store if i have the money and can get all those jeeps you can bet i will!:D

Those doors are the bomb , to be sure.
The paint made a cold shiver go up my spine. that looks like a Ken and Barbi nightmare.:barf:

The PO must have had a major self image problem. In desperate need of counseling and perhaps medication!:eek:

:wasted::banana::laugh: Do i need to donate a can of spray paint? The white paint looked better. Congrats though a good foundation:chug:

When he sent pics on my cell phone I thought "cool it's got half doors" when I looked at them in person I almost passed out from laughing. The color is no problem I've got 6 gal. of OD Green Epoxy surplus paint I am going to paint my 5 with. So I have plenty to paint this one first and still have paint for my 5.:D
As for the doors I may up-grade them to exterior plywood.:laugh:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom