AMC20 Death

AMC20 Death

YJeXtreme

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
84 CJ7 Renegade
Well about 1 1/2wk ago the drivers axle bearing took a :dung: on my CJ7... they had maybe 2500 miles on them. Instead of sinking more $$ into the M20 thats been fully rebuilt, i’ll be building a custom 9” Ford rear.

Anyone in/near VA interested in M20 rear with 4.56 gears (2500-ish miles) & spartan locker (500-ish miles) has unknown branded 1 piece shafts, setup for SOA & has Barnes 4wd anti-wrap bar brackets...

Dang you had some good money tied up in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless the housing is bent, either the bearings weren't packed good or had too much preload. The last couple ones I've done, I drilled a hole in the inner seal to let some gear oil get to the bearing.

Something to think about on the rear....Sounds like you'll be spending some coin on that rear. Since you are already SOA, I would consider going a little wider than stock. I went with an early Bronco 9" rear that's 58" WMS and wouldn't mind it being a little bit wider. If you want to be able to use off the shelf shafts, you could probably use 2 long side EB shafts and get around 60" (which is YJ/TJ width). Mine is 28 spline, but wish it was 31 spline (stronger and better locker selection).

Of course, the extra width means you need to do something about the front axle. Spacers could get you by, assuming it's WT.

Unless the housing is bent, either the bearings weren't packed good or had too much preload. The last couple ones I've done, I drilled a hole in the inner seal to let some gear oil get to the bearing.

Some aftermarket 1 piece axles use Set9 roller bearings and do not need a preload. My Moser axles had them. The downfall is they are not a strong as tapered bearings but they are easier to set up.

Something to think about on the rear....Sounds like you'll be spending some coin on that rear. Since you are already SOA, I would consider going a little wider than stock. I went with an early Bronco 9" rear that's 58" WMS and wouldn't mind it being a little bit wider. If you want to be able to use off the shelf shafts, you could probably use 2 long side EB shafts and get around 60" (which is YJ/TJ width). Mine is 28 spline, but wish it was 31 spline (stronger and better locker selection).

Of course, the extra width means you need to do something about the front axle. Spacers could get you by, assuming it's WT.

The seals allowed plenty of gear oil to seep by. The shafts really should have been replaced when I did the regear.

The problem is, with the amount of heat that was generated when bearing failed, it’s possible housing end was warped. I’ve come across this on 9” housings where someone ran them dry & overheated the bearings. (Actually where one of my spare 9” housings came from)

Since I wheel my CJ, and drive regularly, it makes more sense to move to 9”, which i’ll build as 31 spline & chromoly shafts.

I’ll be doing the narrowing, debated on going EB width, but not a fan of running spacers. Since I already purchased shallow backspaced wheels(upgraded steering required either 17”+ wheels or shallow backspaced wheels), i’ll likely stay CJ width.

You'll love the 9".
Been run'n a Currie built 9" for over 27 yrs in mine.
Just the size upgrade in brakes, makes the switch worth it.
LG

You'll love the 9".

Been run'n a Currie built 9" for over 27 yrs in mine.

Just the size upgrade in brakes, makes the switch worth it.

LG

I’ve been building Fords for years & jeeps for over 10... most my jeeps get 9” rear unless going full rock-crawler.

I keep a lot of 9” parts in stock in my storage, have disc brackets too.

Been awhile... rear still makes some crappy noises... so I’ve kept jeep parked. Began work on below... i’ll soon have an M20 for sale... 4.56 gears have less than 2k miles, locker has less than 500 miles, Riddler Cast Iron cover...

47843a7a1eb782f646319b6396bc22c1.jpg
3892cff4357115c2c893dad7ccc467af.jpg
c2ed7c19f60e380b2d123cf6374a7b9b.jpg
fa1d7cc393c39fde8fa124972d7d7749.jpg
a2294684e5c28b3902b6a80365d624c2.jpg
7a52cc1081aa69d17231fd00d117d00f.jpg
d88bf7e30f820f0133945ae1303f16e5.jpg

Sweet that Ford 9 will definitely get the job done

Sweet that Ford 9 will definitely get the job done

For sure. The backbrace is overkill, but O’ve bent 1 stock full-width 9” before in a YJ on 38s, so I’d rather go beefy & never worry again

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks