Diff AMC 20 tubes.

Differentials
Diff AMC 20 tubes.

saltwatertaz

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
77 cj5, 304
Hello first post. I have a 1977 CJ5 I've just striped to the frame. One problem I've found is the tube on the passenger side rear axle is rusted paper thin. I'm new to finding used parts and live in a rural area. Can I clean this tube to shinny metal and clad it in two half of over size tube? My welding skills are pretty good and I have the equipment to do the work. Just want some advice. Also what size tube to clad with? It will be used for occasional driving, mild trails. I'm 65 and not to wild, retired. Thanks for any advice and help!

:welcome: :chug:

Where is it rusted, what size area and how did you measure the thickness? My biggest concern is safety. The tube is a structural component but if it is small probably will not be a problem.

Can you take a pic?

Sorry I am just now getting back. After digging deeper I see this housing is shot. I am looking for another rear end. I have the jeep striped to the frame and running gear. I have not sand blasted the fame, but believe it can be salvaged. In front of both rear spring hangers(front part of rear end springs toward transfer case) is going to need work. The rear spring hangers on both sides I will probably replace. This one of my retirement projects. The picture of right side of axle shows how bad its pitted hopefully. Hope I attached it correctly. Thanks

Attachments

• 20200906_120321.jpg
    20200906_120321.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 39
I would take a really good look at your frame. They have a habit of actually rusting from the inside out.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom