AMC 20 / Dana 30 Wide vs Narrow

AMC 20 / Dana 30 Wide vs Narrow

MillerCJ7

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Jeep CJ7 79/84
How can you tell the difference between wide and narrow? I have 3 axles that are what I believe to be a wide Dana 30, narrow Dana 30, and a narrow AMC20. (All 3.54)

I was going to use the narrow pair but the AMC20 turned out to have rusted through on the underside of the mounts, that annoying spot, and compromised the tubes. Welding to fix isn't an option. At this time I think I am in the market for an AMC20 widetrack to pair with the Dana 30 but at this point I would take anything with a solid housing.

Also, I have the rebuild kits already for the 30 and 20 so I'm not interested in a ford 8" or a Dana 44.

The goal here isn't a show CJ7 restore but simply a drivable/dependable jeep for on/off road. However, I bought all new suspension parts and at a minimum planning on sanding and painting the axle housings.

So, should I hunt for a widetrack AMC20 or just build up metal over the hole and keep the narrow track? Again, I have a widetrack and a narrow track Dana 30.

Gut feeling says widetrack...

Alot of times you can find a built AMC20 pretty cheap. Look around for a wide track that someone tossed some 1 piece axles in. The only tough part about it is finding one with the gear ratio to match yours.

Alot of times you can find a built AMC20 pretty cheap. Look around for a wide track that someone tossed some 1 piece axles in. The only tough part about it is finding one with the gear ratio to match yours.

I have a Detroit locker for the AMC20 so I need 2 piece. I believe I'm 3.54

No you need one piece axles. The two piece are the week link in the model 20.

No you need one piece axles. The two piece are the week link in the model 20.

Unless you ever feel like driving on the road and turning. I would agree. But possibly more than 50% will be on the road driving.

Its not going to make a difference driving wise if you have two piece axles or 1 piece axles with the detroit locker. The only difference is the 1 piece will be much stronger. Also having the detroit locker in there is even more of a reason to have the 1 piece axles. Heres a pic of a Cj AMC20 two piece axle. The hub area (with the studs for the lug nuts ) has splines on the inner circle. It connects onto the axle itself at the end you see in the top left corner. On a 1 piece axle this is all one solid piece that isnt pressed together. The 2 piece axle fails where it is pressed together leaving your wheel and hub assembly fall off and you having know way to press them back together. Usually the splines are all boogered and thats it. Hope that long winded explanation helps. :)

8127070K_3341.jpg

Unless you ever feel like driving on the road and turning. I would agree. But possibly more than 50% will be on the road driving.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks