amc 20 axle to bearing play excessive

amc 20 axle to bearing play excessive

ozusa

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
83 CJ7, 258, t5, dana300, D30m AMC 20
Has anyone found an outer axle bearing that was loose in the axle housing?
I have that problem with the bearing race is loose in the axle housing.
Bearing race is 2.55" outside diameter and the axle hole opening is 2.60".
So the bearing race is .05 loose in the axle house.
Certainly can't install and drive like that.
Anyone seen before or ideas on who has tolerance shims installs for the issue?
The bearing is a timken with the 2 piece axle assembly.
Thanks,

Attachments

• DSCN0149[1].jpg
    DSCN0149[1].jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 46
Has anyone found an outer axle bearing that was loose in the axle housing?
I have that problem with the bearing race is loose in the axle housing.
Bearing race is 2.55" outside diameter and the axle hole opening is 2.60".
So the bearing race is .05 loose in the axle house.
Certainly can't install and drive like that.
Anyone seen before or ideas on who has tolerance shims installs for the issue?
The bearing is a timken with the 2 piece axle assembly.
Thanks,

If the old one wasn't loose when you took it apart, I would say that someone gave you the wrong race.

I just had something similar like that happen to me. When I pulled the axle, the outer race just fell out - which I have never seen happen before. I have not measured it yet or compared it to a new one, but I will shortly...

The old race (that fell out) measures 2.558". The new bearings I bought to replace them measures the same. I have not yet tried to measure the axle housing...

I have not fully looked into this yet - still have other issues going on...

Compare the PN's on the 2 races.
LG

The old race was a timken U261L

The new bearings I bought from Moser (they now use S&K) has nothing stamped on the outer race, but has #331579B stamped on the inner race...

I haven't measured the housing bore, but really no need to. I cleaned it out real good and slid the outer race in. Way too much slop. Not the 0.05 that the op noted, but too much for my taste. I am guessing somewhere on the order of 0.002" - 0.005" radially.

Both the housing and the race have slight scour marks as if the race had rotated at times. Loctite makes a sealer designed for just this purpose, but I'm not sure how much I trust it. Other than that, the only thing I can think of is to bore out the housing and press a slug into it and re-bore the bearing gland.

I might just look into another housing before going through all that.

Any thoughts on this?

Also, which way does the inner oil seal go in? It currently looks backwards to me...tension spring facing the differential or outwards toward wheel?

I haven't measured the housing bore, but really no need to. I cleaned it out real good and slid the outer race in. Way too much slop. Not the 0.05 that the op noted, but too much for my taste. I am guessing somewhere on the order of 0.002" - 0.005" radially.

Both the housing and the race have slight scour marks as if the race had rotated at times. Loctite makes a sealer designed for just this purpose, but I'm not sure how much I trust it. Other than that, the only thing I can think of is to bore out the housing and press a slug into it and re-bore the bearing gland.

I might just look into another housing before going through all that.

Any thoughts on this?

Also, which way does the inner oil seal go in? It currently looks backwards to me...tension spring facing the differential or outwards toward wheel?

Tension spring facing diff.

Call Moser-Didn't they change the bearing pkg several years ago. :confused::confused:
LG

I just bought the kit from Moser. It is the same diameter.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks