Altitude ground wire...

Altitude ground wire...

Mopedtony

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 cj7 258i6
I'm unsure as to which wire is the altitude grounding wire that you are supposed to ground to the engineblock or chassis if operating the jeep above 4000 feet? -and Is this actually necessary ?

1986 CJ7 Laredo 258i6.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Lumpy Grits on the forum here is the Resident Master of the altitude jumper wire and will respond. Mayhem has made mine disappear somewhere. Just not sure where

My '86 came with the altitude ground wire, as I recall it was a white wire with a 5/16" ring terminal on it. It originally came with a tag indicating what it was used for. It was located in the area of the coil. I set it up to operate with a toggle switch. It did require a restart of the engine to activate it. Using it in the local mountians above 4000" msl really improved operation. I have since converted to fuel injection that uses a different computer.

Look for this-
Altitude Jumper

I also recently learned that there is more than grounding that wire involved.
We just had a thread about this-BUT, I just don't see it now.
Hey POSI-Do you recall the tread??

LG

Last edited:
You guys are awesome! That being said, I don't have a ring terminal on any of the wires in that area. (I guess it's been cut) the picture from sprynet doesn't show where the wire comes from. I do have a black wire coming off of a flat 4wire plug in that area that is just dangling...ill have to get a picture of it to see if any of you guys recognize it
You guys are awesome! That being said, I don't have a ring terminal on any of the wires in that area. (I guess it's been cut) the picture from sprynet doesn't show where the wire comes from. I do have a black wire coming off of a flat 4wire plug in that area that is just dangling...ill have to get a picture of it to see if any of you guys recognize it. Seriously,thanks for your input all of you.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

That high altitude ground wire does come from the computer and it is also located at the #3 post on the CJ underhood diagnostic connector next to the battery. The wire is on my wiring diagram as a black wire with a white tracer.

Look inside the wiring loom.
It was intended to be attached to the coil bracket.
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks