Aftermarket gauges

Aftermarket gauges

BowTie YJ

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'89 YJ
I am considering (mind almost made up) to replace all the gauges in my YJ with new, aftermarket. Does anyone have pictures of aftermarket gauges installed? i am trying to decide what brand and what look that i like. Right now i am leaning towards autometer phantom. CJ dashes or YJ dashes, post 'em if you got 'em. Thanks!

any experience stories with the install, both good and bad, would also be appreciated.

I have all Autometer gauges in my CJ5. Here are a few shots. The fuel gauge worked perfectly with the stock sending unit. I had to change the speedo gear though.

Disregard the rust in the windshield frame... Probably replace that this rebuild cycle too... :) :)

Attachments

• dash1.jpg
    dash1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 2,415
  • dash2.jpg
    dash2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,045
I did some browsing through Autometers selection of gauges for a while today. Wow! They sure have allot more of a selection then when I was figuring out what gauges to use for my CJ.

They even have an adjustable / programmable fuel gauge now. You should be able to find any gauge you need for your YJ.

Auto Meter

I just ordered all new AutoMeter Phantom gauges for the CJ. I'll put a pic up when I get them.
I think the white faced gauges will be easier to read than the black faced ones.

i put sunpro in mine. cannt afford autometer but one day i might get them. make sure you disconnect the battery. i fried a oil gauge cause i thought it was and i hooked a ground wire to it and it slipped and hit the pos terminal on it.

Nothing wrong with SunPro at all. We ran them for years in our race cars. They always worked and were accurate.

i put sunpro in mine. cannt afford autometer but one day i might get them. make sure you disconnect the battery. i fried a oil gauge cause i thought it was and i hooked a ground wire to it and it slipped and hit the pos terminal on it.

Yea I can't afford them either, but thats what I got anyways...:eek:
I will be ripping out the entire electrical system and designing a complete harness myself, eventually.
I just ordered a new marine fuse center from marine west to be the heart of the system.

I fabed up a little bracket to hold 3 guages. It wraps over the dash pad and is screwd in from behind so I didn't have to mess it up with mounting holes.
003pj6.jpg

002wd9.jpg

Looks good... Whats a dash pad? :laugh:

What is the gauge next to the volt meter in the dash? Is it oil temp?

Looks good... Whats a dash pad? :laugh:

What is the gauge next to the volt meter in the dash? Is it oil temp?

Well SOME of us like to do a little pimpin in our rides!:cool:
Their Fuel water temp and oil press.

an old oil press guage. It's wired up for a oil temp guage to the trans. I just need to pull the guage and replace it.

I thought about cutting 2 new holes above the amp and oil gauge like CJ (looks great btw) but was afraid the defrost ducts would be in the way behind. Did you remove the ducts? Where should the sending unit for temp gauge be installed? Right now its rigged in a heater hose by previous owner. I have a 304 in my recently purchased 78 CJ5.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks