Diff Advice on diff covers vs OEM, gasket material, etc...

Differentials
Diff Advice on diff covers vs OEM, gasket material, etc...

UncleMike

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ-7, 5L
Pulling diff covers for 1979 CJ7 with AMC20 rear and Dana 30 front to change fluid and inspect. Wanted to get thoughts on gaskets vs (or with) permatex, and OEM covers vs aftermarket with drain plugs. Not planning on doing much rock crawling, and really more concerned with being able to regularly maintain and not have leaks. What say the experts?

Also...what are thoughts on using 75/90 full synthetic posi fluid...have a few cases leftover from a subaru we sold, so wanted to get rid of it...

On my axles, I also wanted better covers that also included a drain for regular maintenance. I installed the Alloy USA part # 11205 cover on the AMC20. This is a heavy duty 3/8 thick stamped steel cover and included new hex head bolts. I used black permatex on the gasket, which was a Yukon Gear part # YCGM20. For my front Dana 30, I used the Yukon Gear part # YHCC-D30 cover, which also has a drain and new hex head bolts, and their YCGD30 gasket. While I used Yukon Gear gears and axles in both front and rear rebuilds, and their diff cover on the front Dana 30, I didn't like their shiny finned YPC20-M20 diff cover for the AMC20, which is why I went with the Alloy USA one for that.

I also use full synthetic in both axles.

I have a rubber coated gasket on my front axle with a stock cover and cover guard, its nice to be able
To service it easily, my rear dif has the rubber oring style cover which is also nice

I like the idea of full synthetic since you dont have to worry about it breaking down on you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the Lubelocker gasket on my Dana 30 front axle. Have had it apart a number of times and it still seals good. For some reason I keep blowing ring and pinions. Probably has nothing to do with the 4.7 stroker, 4.88 gears and 35 inch tires.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom