A ride for a trailer queen

A ride for a trailer queen

IOPort51

NOT the voice of reason Jeep-CJ.com
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 cj-5
4.2 W/MC2100 carb, 4.0 head W/3 angle valves,SS Header,TFI ignition with MSB-6 offroad module,CS144 140 amp RPS alternator with remote regulator T-150,d-20,Dana 44 with OX lock and disk brakes. D-30 with Spartin locker,
skyjacker 2.5 lift?nitro shocks,31" BFG A/T off road.8000 lb Warn winch, original owner.=^)

2006 Toyota Tacoma
I have been thinking about buying a 14' tandem axle trailer to tow the CJ on.

The days of me driving the CJ more than 200 miles are gone, just too old and soft , I guess. I also take the CJ to some places that offer the real possibility of it needing to be carried home. What ever the reason I have tried flat towing and although it works I can't help but think a trailer would be more stable and having brakes back there would be a real plus.

The situation with the tow vehicle is the deciding factor. A Toyota Tacoma with 2.7 4 cylinder is just fine for down on the flat in Texas but on those special occasions that I get to go to the mountains it proves to be a little week at high altitudes. I am Ok with this and don't think I am going to trade the Toyota in any time soon. All things considered The thought of adding 16 or 17 hundred pounds to the load is a bit of a concern.

The questions are: will the reduction of rolling resistance from wide high profile gnarly treaded off road tires to slightly over inflated street treaded trailer tires be significant?? Will the additional width and lower over all center of gravity of the trailer make the load a bit more civilized at highway speed?? Would I be as well off with a two wheeled tow dolly with electric brakes and a whole lot less weight and a wider wheel track, at least in the front?? In the event of a problem limiting the use of a jeep axle I would think it would ride as well forward as backwards. For that matter if the jeep was loaded on the dolly backwards it would eliminate the need to drop the rear drive shaft.

I can't say that I have a lot of experience pulling a trailer so if you do, please feel free to jump in with your .02 .:cool:

I tried a tow dolly backwards. Not good the weight was all in the back and it wagged like my dogs tail. Turned it around and then all was well. The other question is do I really want to wear out my expensive tires on a tow dolly? I've seen some put regular tires on the rear and the good ones in the rear of the CJ. I hate swapping tires.

Thinking the car trailer (I'm calling it the hay hauler to obtain the wife's approval) is gonna happen in the near future. Then a newer truck . . Just doesn't quit! :D

tire changing is a PITA, even more than dropping the shaft. I suspected that would be the case with pulling it backwards.:cool:

Mines been a trail queen for a long time, I love the idea of being able to trailer it home if it's broken, had a hard day with a almost broke part that going to finish breaking going down the freeway or even full of mud for that matter. The closest place we wheel is 150 miles one way.
I've never used a dolly though so I can't say if it pulls any harder or not.
I have a 16' trailer and it pulls really nice, and as you say trailer brakes are a BIG plus also.
I also have a full size truck with a V10 so power isn't the problem, the problem is buying gas.:D

Last edited:
I think the biggest problem you are going to have is pulling a trailer with a Jeep on it with a 1/4 ton truck, you will be asking way more of it then it was built for. IMO

If youre sticking with the Tacoma I dont know if I would want a trailer + jeep behind it. The 4 banger is a pretty good engine but thats alot of extra weight especially going up a good size hill.

Last year I flat towed the CJ to Ouray Colorado. It did OK even in the mountains. It will never go one on one with a super duty but I don't have to refinance my house to buy it or feed it.:D

I guess the question is whether the trailer has enough advantage to warrant the extra weight. I suppose the best thing for me to do would be to rent a car hauler for a day and give it a pull.:cool:

Definately do not tow your jeep backwards on a tow dolly you cant stay in the road lol thought i was a gonner lol so did my wife in fact she said she wasnt going to go with me anymore. I guess I could call that good luck since she doesnt like to wheel anyhow. trailer is definately worth the effort besides you can haul all the extra (jeep) parts to the swap meet with it.at least that was my excuse for buying it.

I suppose the best thing for me to do would be to rent a car hauler for a day and give it a pull.:cool:
Good luck, I called about renting a dolly and was told I would need at least a 3/4 ton truck to rent one.

Good luck, I called about renting a dolly and was told I would need at least a 3/4 ton truck to rent one.

that is interesting. I was going to rent a trailer, seems that the dolly idea doesn't seem to be a good one. It seems I see import cars pulling import cars on tow dollys from time to time.:D where did you call? I looked at the U Haul web site and told them what I had and what I was towing and they offered both the dolly and a car trailer.

It's been some years ago I think it was a local rental company so Uhaul may not care I just thought you may have a problem getting a trailer.

I would definitely check the weight of any trailer..I recently recieved a 16‘ trailer for free,just had to replace the decking. I drive a 4x4 GMC Sierra with 5.3 and auto tranny. Definitely noticed the weight of the empty trailer coming up the mtn. aswell as on flat ground..The trailer is 10,000lb gross weight but you cant beat free and its got brakes too.Good luck in your quest.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

wow that is heavy! I am figuring on about 5500 Jeep and trailer.

I would definitely check the weight of any trailer..I recently recieved a 16‘ trailer for free,just had to replace the decking. I drive a 4x4 GMC Sierra with 5.3 and auto tranny. Definitely noticed the weight of the empty trailer coming up the mtn. aswell as on flat ground..The trailer is 10,000lb gross weight but you cant beat free and its got brakes too.Good luck in your quest.

My 16' steel bed trailer weighs 2300 lb's

Give it a good once over in case I need a ride home in June. :D
I don't know man, my jeep might get jealous if I give a strange cj a ride. :D

:laugh::laugh: ( End Hi-jack of Crazy Texans thread ) :)

I don't know man, my jeep might get jealous if I give a strange cj a ride. :D

Crazy Texan is redundant.:D

The 14' tandem axle I am considering is a wood floor, I am planning on removing all the wood that I don't actually set on, and it weighs as sold 1600 pounds. I guess the CJ is about 4000+.

Lol,GW or gross weight,my trailer weighs probably 2500lbs or less.I ment it has a 10,000lb capacity.😄

My mistake, trailers are not a subject I am familiar enough with yet.:D

the 14' is 7000 pounds.:cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom