A bad day fishin' is better then...

CJ

Admin
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'72 CJ5, 401, T18, D20, D44, D30
'82 CJ8, 258, D300, AMC20, D30
Well, you all know the rest.

Headed out to Apalachicola yesterday for a day's fishing trip.

This was on the ground right in front of our room! Needless to say, I was a bit wary. :) The night went on without any incidents though... ;)

attachment.php

Picked up bait and put the boat in around seven this morning and headed out across the bay for the gulf.
About 10 miles out, found the man made reef we were looking for, then spent the next hour trying to get the reef anchor to hook up, frustrating! The current was so strong the anchor kept floating! Changed to a heavier sand anchor and caught the reef first time.
First fish caught was a LARGE redfish! Now this was in 75 feet of water, we had never even seen something like this! Good omen for sure!
Had a few snags, a few lost leaders hooks and weights - normal fishing.
Caught amber-jack, grouper, snapper, grunts, black fish and a few others - I forget. :) I caught the most interesting fish of the day, a remora - damn they are weird looking!
Also spent the better part of the day trying to avoid the barracuda that shadowed us. It never hit on any fish we reeled in, but it took out just about every one we had to release! I hate that! :mad:
The boat owner had the hardest hit of the day, 100 lb test, short rod, he had hooked something that even with two people, it was hard to hold! The rod was creaking and groaning! How it didn't break - I don't know... The reel played out and made all kinds of weird noises - I thought he was going in the water. :) Then, nothing - the line was cut above the leader - probably a shark, we will never know, but it was good entertainment! :)
The high point were the dolphins that decided to do a show for us - we all smiled.
Tried to pull up the sand anchor caught on the reef, Umm... We have a no go on this one, it is now a permanent part of the reef. :(
The weather started to turn so we decided to make the ten mile run back to the bay - some pretty good rollers but it was a good run back.

Two hours later, back at home with a little bit of a sunburn. :)

All in all, a great day fishing and not working!

Anyone up for a fish cook out? We have plenty!

Attachments

• IMG_20100904_200800.jpg
    IMG_20100904_200800.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 220
So you got pics of the dead guys shadow, but NoNe of the fishing trip! WTH?!?

Have a bunch of pics of the trip, I just can't get a release from the others on the boat, they are shy... :)

Have a bunch of pics of the trip, I just can't get a release from the others on the boat, they are shy... :)

:laugh::laugh::chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks