Build Thread A 1984 Black CJ7 Build - My never ending project/addiction

Build Thread A 1984 Black CJ7 Build - My never ending project/addiction
Finally took the top off. Tuffy lock box installed as well as a manual choke. Did some other things I'm probably forgetting. I did have to replace the new 3 core radiator. The first one had pin holes in it and was leaking. Replaced under warranty.
qj4fzfO.jpg
oSslL1c.jpg
mJCg09T.jpg

Looks awesome. Great work. I am in the middle of changing a prior snow-plow CJ back into its former 4x4 glory and hope to have it looking half this good by next year. :notworthy:

What size was that Tuffy box? Was it the narrow version or the wider one? Looks like it fits really well.

Yep that ruddy box looks great in your really good looking Jeep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to update. After issues with two separate brand new radiators leaking, I ended up going with an aluminum Griffin radiator. I also needed a power steering bracket and was able to find a NOS, with even the mopar sticker still on it. Other than that, been enjoying the Jeep, well until the AMC20 Trac lok case exploded and took out my rear end. Now for Dana 60 time. It is at the axle shop now. It’s a Dana 60-2 and will be getting a Truetrac.

dG4JTUt.jpg

1dECvJF.jpg

9lq4h4X.jpg

9dyeCm5.jpg

92t7T6N.jpg

C6Rycd9.jpg

bPFC0Xt.jpg

The OEM trac-lok LSD is a P:censored:S.
The tru-track in the rear, would be a great match with the front.:cool:
LG

You called it. I never expected it to fail like that though. Sucks but I’m not spending a ton on saving the AMC20 at this point. Just glad my buddy had the 60 with 4.10s.

Just got the axle back. Some changes to the original plan. The brakes on both the 20 and on the 60 couldn’t be used. So we decided to go with these:
https://www.currieenterprises.com/CE-6005AB

Also, the 60 actually had a powerlok LSD already in it, so decided to rebuild it and go with that. But overall, it’s been narrowed and is ready. Just needs some other minor things, like e brake cable and paint.

CQJimg0.jpg

RT3SltG.jpg

1kvegE4.jpg

cPIyAkU.jpg

w06SeGo.jpg

Wow that’s truly impressive that you were able to explode your carrier, that D60 is awesome

A little update. A slight modification for ground clearance and paint. Nearly done.

UE8hdSU.jpg

BufARH9.jpg

Pscd2bE.jpg

EKchw8y.jpg

AmjbVsf.jpg

Wow that’s truly impressive that you were able to explode your carrier, that D60 is awesome

Thanks. I got lucky my buddy had it. I prob would have saved the 20 if not. Buying a complete 44 or 60 is big money.

Dana 60 is in. Crazy how much bigger it is. The brakes are a nice improvement. The E Brake actually works, and works really well. It will take a bit to get used to driving with a functional LSD. The driving behavior is a bit different, but overall, happy it’s in.

dG59k3i.jpg

gFDCpc4.jpg

WfrOIFU.jpg

YEZ3S66.jpg

82MJVvL.jpg

Now it’s time for a flat top Dana 44 front to go with that massive D60 rear

Now it’s time for a flat top Dana 44 front to go with that massive D60 rear

I probably will go that route at some point. I’m in no rush now. I’m hoping to just enjoy it for a little while.

Changed the oil and installed a new battery. The old one was a cheapo from 2012. My friend that built the engine recommended an Optima red top.

2KvvcZ7.jpg

Changed the oil and installed a new battery. The old one was a cheapo from 2012. My friend that built the engine recommended an Optima red top.

[im] https://i.imgur.com/2KvvcZ7.jpg[/img]

Your friend must have one of the old red top batteries. The newer ones are Chineese made junk.

Your friend must have one of the old red top batteries. The newer ones are Chineese made junk.

His is definitely older. This one was made in Mexico.

X2 on that. The brand is not nearly what it once was. XS Power is my go to now. Heard great stuff about Odyssey too. Actually got one of my next big boat system customers supposedly bringing an Odyssey, excited to test one out

If you’re not running a big draw, you should be fine with the Optima

JLJdrt5.jpg
JI2TUVN.jpg
5IMfGSa.jpg
D8UZztN.jpg
kkoKVUK.jpg

Went for a nice drive on the 4th. Couldn’t pass up the photo opportunity.

Welcome to the forum and to the life of Jeeping. Great find on the CJ! This place is awesome and a wealth of knowledge. Look forward to seeing where you go with yours.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom