Build Thread 95's 81 CJ5 rebuild

Build Thread 95's 81 CJ5 rebuild
Yeah feels good to be back messing with it.

I am so loving it getting to work on mine I'm glad you are working on yours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am so loving it getting to work on mine I'm glad you are working on yours

I'm kinda scared what I'm gonna find or what it's gonna do when I go to start it.

I never hooked up the two starter wires and I can't remember which terminals they bolt too lol gonna have to google

Well got the heater box all buttoned back up and back in the jeep, here's a few photos of finishing up this weekends project.
All bottomed back up with its new stuff
IMG_2038_zpskphvbfsw.png
And back in the jeep
IMG_2040_zpsltbwlyo5.png
View from in the engine bay, so in order to install the larger YJ heater blower motor it required a drill with a hole saw, that turned out to be a HUGE pain in the neither regions, so you can see my fix. Hopefully it works in the end.
IMG_2042_zpsxrrwaip6.png
One thing I am worried about is the top "pipe" sticking out far enough to keep the hose from leaking, I think it will work but there's always that what if with this thing lol
IMG_2041_zpsywevejqw.png

The radiator is ordered and on its way, so I should be able to attempt to start it soon and find out what all I messed up lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lol just go thru your wiring schematic to make sure your wiring is correct

Are you talking about for the starter?

Starter, starter relay, alternator, distributor and coil, those are the ones you really need to start and run it

Starter, starter relay, alternator, distributor and coil, those are the ones you really need to start and run it

Gotcha, thanks man. Should be fun lol

You ever have any interest in wood working like building your own canoe or sailboat?

You ever have any interest in wood working like building your own canoe or sailboat?

What makes you ask that? I mean that would be cool but not off hand.

What makes you ask that? I mean that would be cool but not off hand.

well you were asking about building a shed so I wondered if your wood working interests extended beyond that. Since I live near a lake and enjoyed sailing as a child I thought it would be neat to have a canoe that i can carry on top of the Jeep to take the kids out in to enjoy some time on the water. I love the look and sound of the old barrel back mahogany boats and have gotten interested in wood working looking at people building them from laminated plywood and that has moved into the plywood canoe kits and now looking at the "Clancy " sailboat kit. I think it would be a neat addition to the top of a CJ5 :D :chug: also a good project for you and your children to work on together :chug:

well you were asking about building a shed so I wondered if your wood working interests extended beyond that. Since I live near a lake and enjoyed sailing as a child I thought it would be neat to have a canoe that i can carry on top of the Jeep to take the kids out in to enjoy some time on the water. I love the look and sound of the old barrel back mahogany boats and have gotten interested in wood working looking at people building them from laminated plywood and that has moved into the plywood canoe kits and now looking at the "Clancy " sailboat kit. I think it would be a neat addition to the top of a CJ5 :D :chug: also a good project for you and your children to work on together :chug:

Ah gotcha! I will be lucky if I can get the 5 going and somewhat reliable lol

Would be neat though. I was just asking about a shed so I could store the 5 and get my garage back for the daily driver.

Ah gotcha! I will be lucky if I can get the 5 going and somewhat reliable lol

Would be neat though. I was just asking about a shed so I could store the 5 and get my garage back for the daily driver.

No luck involved in getting the 5 running and reliable it's just money and time you can get there

No luck involved in getting the 5 running and reliable it's just money and time you can get there

And I can't wait to even be able to drive it around the yard let alone on a trail in low range.

It's gonna be the difference of night and day wheeling that over the JK. Cj has no power brakes, no power steering, not fuel injected, the cj just has that cool rugged utilitarian jeep style though!

I can't wait to wheel mine as well

I can't wait to wheel mine as well

I do kinda want to put a full roll cage in mine though. I heard back in the day you could get a dealer installed full cage. Wouldn't mind something like that so it's not too aftermarket you know. As long as it's a decent cage. I don't plan on getting crazy with it but I want to be safe should something happen. I'm gonna have to address that and seat belts. At the moment it only has factory lap belts.

Sailboats are fun. I grew up on the water sailing. Now I have a wooden Louisiana pirogue to paddle around in the bayous

With all this boat talk, I wouldn't mind having a kayak or canoe for the top of my cj

With all this boat talk, I wouldn't mind having a kayak or canoe for the top of my cj

Lol making a stitch and glue canoe is really appealing to me you should try it........ after the CJ is done

Lol making a stitch and glue canoe is really appealing to me you should try it........ after the CJ is done

Yeah after the cj is done lol

I think a kayak would be cool. I wouldn't mind a canoe but with a 3 year old and 1 year, I could see them flipping us.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom