Steering '90 XJ column for '72 CJ5

Steering '90 XJ column for '72 CJ5

Tahoenative

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'72 CJ5
A neighbor gave me a '90 XJ steering column with wheel for my '72 CJ5. Good? Bad? Is there a mounting plate/bracket? Anything else I should know? This is outside my experience. Thanks in advance.

I have personally not tried to use an XJ steering column in a CJ before but it should possibly work for you. I had a 1990 XJ and it was definitely a GM steering column with keys that were rebranded AMC. The column looked very similar to what was in my CJ already, both even had the tilt option. I never checked the length or the joint to the mid shaft that goes from the column to the steering box to see if they were the same or similar. I would use U joints in those for sure and get rid of any rag joints but I am sure you know that already. Since both my XJ and CJ were manual, there was no automatic shifter mechanism or PRNDL display on the column. My 83 Chevy diesel van had that with circle D for O.D. though so I know they were out there as well for those with autos seeking O.D. transmissions. A friend's son had a 1992 YJ Wrangler with automatic and it had the PRNDL but no overdrive showing since the '92 had a 3-speed transmission.

I believe the dash clamp should be the same as later CJ's for the dash side and the firewall side are available and should also fit. Don't know if the XJ firewall bracket is similar because I never investigated that far. The ignition switch was column mounted on the XJ same as my later CJ was. Don't know if they would interchange though.

You'll have to let us know how things go if you proceed with the swap or remove and compare both columns side-by-side.

RR

A neighbor gave me a '90 XJ steering column with wheel for my '72 CJ5. Good? Bad? Is there a mounting plate/bracket? Anything else I should know? This is outside my experience. Thanks in advance.
I have not done this exact combination but it would seem to me that the XJ column would be too long. Be very careful about cutting and splicing columns. Those column shafts take a lot of flex and twist. Welding can be a problem with hydrogen embrittlement. You would be better off to contact someone like Collins Bros Jeep in Texas for a replacement column if you need it and yours cannot be rebuilt.

If that doesn't work there might be key some parts in the XJ column that would fit or check for some AMC parts for a Gremlin or Hornet. I would not go back any further that '72 as AC was upgrading a lot of parts from the old Kaiser Jeep days.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks