84 Jeep CJ7 AMC 360 and Radiator

84 Jeep CJ7 AMC 360 and Radiator

johnrdonovan1

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7
I recently purchased an 1984 CJ7 and the PO had swapped out the 4.2l with an AMC 360. They left the original radiator and I was wondering if I should start to look for a replacement. It doesn't overheat now but it's only been run in the cold and nothing that tough. I live in NC and the summers can get really hot. Any suggestions on if I should just wait and see how it does or if I should replace it now. Also if I replace anyone have any experience with a radiator that would work with the 360. Appreciate any recommendations that you might be able to provide.

Does it have a shroud?
LG

I have done many V-8 swaps from 6-cylinders in CJ's and the stock 6-cylinder radiator will not handle the cooling loads. Just order a stock V-8 radiator for a CJ (1972-1980) and install that. Not too expensive and will be fine for the 360.

OP-Is this rad. the std 2 row or the 3 row heavy duty version?
When was the last time a 'rod-out' was done?
I too know of summer heat liv'n in the Mojave-LOL
Yeti has very valid points.
Engine cooling while moving is not a big deal-It's 'crawling' that's the proof of your systems worth.
LG

LG: Living in the Mojave qualifies you as an expert on heat. As far as your question, it's the standard 2 row version and not sure a rod-out was ever done on it as I have just had it for a couple of months now. Seeing some of the other things that were done (or not done) when they did this conversion my guess is it was never a consideration. As far as the standard v8 radiators for 5.0l Jeeps, are these direct replacements for the existing radiator or does it require modifications.

The 2 row was border line for the 4.2L. Mine came with the 3-row as part of the towing pkg option.
Is there anyone near you, that could 're-core' your radiator to a 3 or 4 row?
A lot of the brass radiators sold today are super thin, China JUNK.
I know of some folks that have run these alum. with good results so far.
Keep your shroud, at all cost.
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Cooling-Aluminum-Radiator-CC583/dp/B0092QWZPG

LG

I have a 360 in mine and bought the Griffin radiator it is expensive but its made in America, thick and heavy, soon as I get off my butt i will have my Taurus dual fan set up on it.

Amazon has a aluminum 3-core radiator (manual tranny) for $143.00 Not a bad price. However, a lot of experts think that brass radiators have much better cooling characteristics than aluminum radiators just because brass transfers heat much more efficiently than aluminum. So you may want to look at a stock 1976-1980 brass unit. Check Modine. Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K33GLQQ/ref=psdc_15725431_t1_B000C7QHYY

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks