Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'77 Fiat Spider 124
'79 Porsche 928
'83 Jeep CJ7
'93 Chevy Suburban
'04 BMW Z4 3.0
Hi everyone! New to the forum and jeeps! I always wanted a jeep and just purchased one for my son so we can work on it together. It is in great shape, but I bought it from a guy who lived in Wyoming and I live in Texas. He did not use it much and thought it was set up for high altitude. It seems to run a little lean, but driveable. I confirmed the high altitude via the label under the hood. I imagine I am looking for new jetting, but hoped someone has been through this before. If not, I'll figure it out. Although I am new to jeeps, I have done all my own work on my cars for the last 20 years and have no intention of taking it anywhere!! I have a 79 Porsche 928 and '77 Fiat Spider as well. NO ONE touches my stuff LOL! Anyway, looking forward to meeting and working with you guys. Thanks in advance.

The first thing I would do is back the timing off some because you run it higher at high altitude.

There is another ground for running high altitude...might help. Should be on the passenger side firewall around the oil sending unit area. Black with white wire, should both be hooked up if above 4k feet.

Altitude Jumper

That site is a good place to get info if your gonna change the timing as suggested and for a few other things (depending on how much smog equipment is on it)...good luck with it and welcome to the site and the world of Jeeps.

Jeep Adventures Under the Hood

Thanks for those links and suggestions. Taking off the wire made a big difference and we are on our way now. Messed with the timing a little and got it to run even better. Idle is very high, but I'm not convinced I have the timing right just yet (heat index was over a 100 yesterday so give me a break!). For a while I couldn't figure out what was going on until I discovered a threaded bolt permanently logged in the vacuum tube coming from the distributor! Not sure if it was meant to be there or left in place for a reason! My experience with picking up old cars from POs is that most of them didn't know what they were doing or trusted it to another mechanic who didn't know what they were doing either. I guess I will find out shortly, but for now it idles consistently and very driveable and a lot more fun. However, it feels like it is a little short on power and should have some more giddy-up, but I've never owned a jeep before. Now just some fine tuning (hopefully).

You should get a copy of the REAL, FSM as it covers ign timing procedures etc.
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks