Build Thread 83 Cj5. My ongoing project has started.

Build Thread 83 Cj5. My ongoing project has started.
I’m sure the Mojave will be way nicer than what you had lol....... it would a good thing to have a duct run up to the windshield defroster duct as well...... my cables are frozen and broken so I leave mine in defrost max heat works surprisingly good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got some plastic ducting type stuff. Which I've not got much confidence in, as its thin, flimsy, & just down right cheap feeling. Reminds one of a shop vac hose.

I'm using that until something better presents itself, or it melts.......

Well I blew up the motor yesterday. Oil pump took a dump or spun a bearing. I dont know, but bad things happen when either of those happen.

R.I.P. 258 straight 6.

This is an opportunity though!!!

Picked up a new parts jeep last night & killing a few birds with one stone :) . When we picked up the 69 CJ5 a while back, he also had a running 70 CJ5 with no title. So I paid it no attention. This is what I got yesterday & there will be much Frankensteing involved.

1970 CJ5. Dauntless 225 v6. T14 3 speed. Dana 18 t-case. Dana 27 up front. Best of all, flanged offset Dana 44 out back. Has 4.88 gears already & maybe a trac-locker.

The plan. I'll be transplanting the full driveline from the 70 into the 83. Except maybe the t14. If a can get the t176 that's in it to bolt up, I'll use it. Will also need new spring pad I believe. Will need to use the weird early cj radiator tunnel grill thingy since the v6 is so much shorter. New exhaust will be required. True duals on headers anyone? Figure out all the other little things that will pop up.

Then the tub will either replace or provide much needed panels for the 69. Hoods almost mint with one small dent from the inside. Needed steering column, indicator switch, fenders (maybe), exhaust manifolds (practically unobtainium for the Dauntless), and some other small parts. Like a master cylinder & assorted linkages.

Didint get the hard top and doors unfortunately.

Opinions & thoughts?

Attachments

• 00a0a_gRw0zq4h23N_600x450.jpg
    00a0a_gRw0zq4h23N_600x450.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 01616_iwb9PR3ExRV_600x450.jpg
    01616_iwb9PR3ExRV_600x450.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Resized_20200218_211859.jpg
    Resized_20200218_211859.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 15
Dang dude that’s a nice haul congrats

Thank ya. Gonna be a real Franken jeep in the end.

Thank ya. Gonna be a real Franken jeep in the end.

Welcome to the club!! It’ll be interesting to see how many parts are still original to the title when you get done. I think I’m at like 4 or 5..... Nice score!!

Sent from work......... yay.

Welcome to the club!! It’ll be interesting to see how many parts are still original to the title when you get done. I think I’m at like 4 or 5..... Nice score!!

Spoken by a true Frank-en-steeen :)

Mwaa Hahaha, it's alive! It's alive!

Thanks to my trusty pal Igor (more commonly called a jump box), the donor now runs. Sorta kinda ishy so so, with a ketchup bottle of gas. Yes I said ketchup bottle. Would have used the mayonnaise bottle, but I wasnt sure what the green crud in the bottom was.

Anywho. The starter is about cashed out or possibly the ring gear, and so is the fuel pump. There's serious jankyness with the electrical (now in the scrap bucket). I hot wired the battery, coil, & starter. The trans has at least got neutral (this is a good thing, just about ran over myself with one of the wife's 59 f100's she scored recently). I think the choke is a clothes hanger, but not sure where its routed to.

Not much progress, but its something.

Changed the plugs, wires, coil. Radiator was robbed out of the 69 & picked up a new water pump. Carb could use a rebuild as the float sticks at anything other than flat level. Has at least reverse, 1st, & 2nd gear. Ain't been brave enough to try 3rd as yet. The clutch sounds like a bucket of bolt copulating with bagpipes. Can't get the t-case to shift. Absolutely no brakes, but at least the master cylinder is there. Unlike some other jeeps I've got. Some of the leaf springs are homemade. Could smoke out every misquote in the county probably.

Not all is bad though. Great steering. Has 3:73 gears up front according to the tag. Fires right up.

Attachments

• 20200222_091151.jpg
    20200222_091151.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 14
The clutch sounds like a bucket of bolt copulating with bagpipes.

Hilarious!

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Sometimes you just can't help yourself, or your wife says those parts are to damn cheap to pass up. Just put out back if ya dont need em yet she said. Demanding women.....

Drove up to Kansas City to deliver some parts from the donor jeep I'd sold to help a feller out. Checked craigslist while we were there (its 3 hours each way, might as well check). Emailed a guy, went shopping at the big flea market. Never heard back from the guy. Oh well not ment to be & headed for home.

Half way home the guy calls. Go figure.... Asks how much for the transmission and rearend. Well for $40 bucks each, I now know how to fit a T-176 & a centered Dana 44 in the back of a prius. Fit rather well. Made the kid a decent pillow on the way home. The second time....

Course now I get to rethink my plan for the little Abomination. Still gonna do the Dauntless. But thinking about a narrow track Dana 30 up front (I know where a cheap one is). This Dana 44 in the rear. The current T-176 (I did just rebuild it), and the Dana 300 t-case. Should only need an adapter for the trans to bell housing & re-gearing one or both axles.

Attachments

• image000000(1).jpg
    image000000(1).jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Resized_20200301_080254.jpg
    Resized_20200301_080254.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 28
Wish me luck y'all.

Just took the plunge to regear both the front Dana 30 & the Dana 44. Going with 4:88 gears from Yukon & a Grizzly locker in the rear. New full bearing & shim kits for both axles. Still need to get a couple of wheel spacers for the rear. The wide track front & narrow rear bugs the snot out of me.

Hope the start installation this weekend. Thankfully I can do this myself, shop rates are just stupid.

Well thanks to the beer virus, I've got at least a couple weeks stuck at home. So I've got a good start on the regear.

The rearend is ready to go in now. Went fairly smoothly on the assembly. Used a trick I saw on a YouTube video. Pulled and kept all the old bearings & races. Honed them out until they are just barely a slip fit one the carrier & pinion. Then used these bearings to figure out the needed shim adjustments. Whole heck of a lot easier than pulling the new bearings off repeatedly. Got the pinion riding right in the center of the ring with a nice contact pattern. Backlash is a tight .06, with no end play what so ever. Got the new seal & wheel bearings on & the axles back in.

Was going good, until I had to cut the old axle u-bolts off. Didnt remember to buy new ones. Normally not a big deal. But when you're quarantined to your property and can't go to the parts store. You're kinda screwed. Got some coming from Amazon. Hopefully they're right.

Will probably get started on the front here quickly. Just haven't decided if I'll pull the axle out & do it on the bench, or do it under the vehicle.

Saw that little honed out bearing trick on a muddy beard 4x4 video. Credit where credit is due. Could have used that little tidbit of idea so many times in the past.

Attachments

• 20200307_110959.jpg
    20200307_110959.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 15
  • Resized_20200325_175025.jpg
    Resized_20200325_175025.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Resized_20200325_184244.jpg
    Resized_20200325_184244.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200327_083445.jpg
    20200327_083445.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 15
Dude that’s pretty sweet

And so goes another chineseium clutch.

Attachments

• Resized_20200328_174442.jpg
    Resized_20200328_174442.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 16
Still think that you should go with a "LUK".

Because I happen to have it. For"motivational" reasons...

Attachments

• IMG_20190705_080653.jpg
    IMG_20190705_080653.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 12

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom