Build Thread '81 CJ-7 Laredo build

Build Thread '81 CJ-7 Laredo build
We have a lot of Central Pneumatic tools as well as Centech, and Pittsburg. Have yet to have a problem with any of them. Chicago Electric on the other hand, also from HF, nothing but problems. Stay away from those as you fill your wish list.

Ah good that makes me feel a bit better. I was scared to buy anything electrical there but I needed a charger and took the chance. I need some deep well impact sockets as well.

Also need to hunt down a vaccum leak. The only hoses I reused. :( I'll buy all new and reroute this weekend. Fires right up though, gotta love that. :chug:

Out :censored: Standing! :banana:
:chug:
When's the first road test?
LG

Still need to put the skid plate back up and make sure no cables or wires are in danger of getting in harms way. Tomorrow or maybe Wednesday.

Awesome Pete! :banana: I have a set of air tools from HF and a set of Impact sockets too. No problems in over 5 years. My compressor though I went with a big mother, and sometimes it's still not enough when sanding or grinding. Impact is always good. I love my 3" cut off wheel tool, use it a lot. I also use an angle die grinder for a scotch pad sander. Really nice for cleanup work. Have fun with you new tools! :D

Just a thought, does momma get presents on father's day? :poke:

More good news about the stuff I bought, good love to hear it. So many air tools to check out. :drool: I'm probably going to get Vicki more air tools for Father's Day. Harbor Freight always has a sale then. :D

image_zpsza2mzlti.jpg

image_zpsfmelfjca.jpg

So yesterday I put the skid plate on and the hood. I think I have a vaccum leak cause the idle is high even with the linkage backed off all the way. The vaccum line was all I reused and I want to replace it anyway. I also need to find the wire that runs to the electric choke. Either way I wanted to feel her run so it was time for a test ride. But the 82 had other ideas. Even after charging the battery the carb decided puke gas all over.

It got to late to see what was wrong so I'll be back at it today. Only a Cj that needs work would stop me from getting my Cj that I've been working on out of the garage.

Last edited:
Great news!
Use some very soapy water in a spray bottle and you'll find that vacuum leak real quick.
LG

I think your red Jeep is jealous and is wanting some attention. ;)

What the :censored: happened?
LG

No it wasn't. I was looking for vaccum leaks and some extra line I was using to swap around. Somehow I got some line stuck in the carb linkage. I went to pull it through and it got stuck at WOT! I just got to the key and I heard the contact begin. I immediately started beating myself up about it. My fan got bent and I bent two of the blades back in place. The fan was so mangled it was hard to remove.

I bit the bullet and bought a new radiator and fan. Yesterday I had the time to install it. Once I started it I stuck close by the key. Then I heard the alternator belt squeal and shut it down. As the fan came to a stop I heard it just "tick" the radiator. That's when I found the real culprit.

Peter-That has happened to many of us at some point in our 'wrenching' lives.
I had it happen when I forgot to put the 4 nuts back on my fan clutch, I just installed. :rolleyes:

LG

I had it happen when I forgot to put the 4 nuts back on my fan clutch, I just installed. :rolleyes:

LG

Sorry about that my internet went down. I was beating myself up about it but it wasn't me. Below is the water pump I am replacing. You can see how the shaft just decided to walk out till it got to the radiator

image_zpsf8z6krqr.jpg

Dam water pump cost me almost $300 by the time I replaced the fan and radiator, fluid and gasket. Would've been more but I had a water pump in the parts stash. Had to order the gasket on top of it so I still can't drive it till tomorrow. Better it happened now though than on the road.

Sorry to hear of the damage however, you now have everything you need to make it right. Wish I knew you needed a fan I could have sent you one.

Sorry to hear of the damage however, you now have everything you need to make it right. Wish I knew you needed a fan I could have sent you one.

Thanks. I didn't do too bad on the fan. Bruce, (the guy who sold me the '82) had one for $35 shipped. Then he ended up delivering a transmission about 30 min from my place so I just met him there. Wish I had that water pump gasket though. Wanted to put this together today. :(

:eek:
Is this a new WP that did this?
Looks like the bearing and impeller slip'd. That sez(to me:D)that the shaft was undersized.
What does the backside of the WP look like??
Might want to ck the over hang of those studs go'n through that flange........
Fingers an toes cross'd for better luck. :D
LG

:eek:
Is this a new WP that did this?
Looks like the bearing and impeller slip'd. That sez(to me:D)that the shaft was undersized.
What does the backside of the WP look like??
Might want to ck the over hang of those studs go'n through that flange........
Fingers an toes cross'd for better luck. :D
LG

It's not brand new but I think it should've given me more than the estimated 5000 miles it did. And when my water pump fails I don't think it should take out $250 worth of parts with it. Something was out of tolerance for sure wether it was the shaft or the bearing. The impeller design is different than the stock one so you can't see the shaft from the backside. The shaft pulling out is definitely the problem though.

Have to have better luck now. :)

Here's the water pump I'm installing today

image_zpsj9pa7ke2.jpg

LG

The last time I replaced my water pump, it took two gaskets because I didn't check the first gasket against the water pump housing.

I ended up putting the first gasket on backwards. IIRC, the gasket holes "mostly lined up" with the WP housing. :)

Fortunately I was in my driveway and not out on a test drive when I saw the leak and bummed a ride to Napa for a new gasket.

-Jon

I'll bet the POS came from China.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks