Build Thread 78 CJ5 Farm Find

Build Thread 78 CJ5 Farm Find
Nice CJ5! Thanks for all the info and posts.. I'll tackle the breaks on mine soon. My motor purrs like a kitten but rust falls off the frame every time I start it.

I haven't updated in a while because not much significant has been done to the Jeep. I've been loving having the top on it. It made it possible to drive through the winter and it was such a mild winter that heat was not really necessary.

I did want to post about something that I did fix and was rather significant to usage, even though a very small fix. A while back I was having an intermittent problem with the engine cutting out. It acted like it was electrical but I had replaced nearly everything except for wiring. My last post about it I replaced the solenoid and dropped 2 bottles of fuel treatment in the tank. The problem went away and stayed away for several months. I assumed that fixed it.

A few weeks ago it came back directly after I fueled up. :mad: I immediately thought perhaps it was fuel, but fuel treatment did not help. I pulled my aftermarket ignition switch off the dash and started unwrapping the tape and a wire fell out.

As best I can figure out, a previous owner long ago swapped out the ignition column and put a switch on the dash. The ignition plug that connected to the factory switch was still used but the wires were just jammed into the plug that was designed for blade connectors. :mad: The whole thing was wrapped with electrical tape. As I have been driving it was losing the connection with the mass of wires jammed into the plug and then reconnecting after I turn the ignition off and back on.

I wired up some blade connectors and plugged them in, then re-wrapped it and my problems seem to be solved for now. :) It's back to being reliable again, enough that I've been driving it every day to work for a week since my other vehicle is being used by my church on a mission trip.

I have lots of plans for this and lots of parts purchased waiting for me to have some wrench time. I've got a heater box to rebuild, electrical switches to move, heater cables to reinstall. I want to make a custom bumper with a hitch receiver on it. I want to replace the suspension bushings and eventually replace the steering coupling.

Anyway, a nagging problem has been solved. Love my CJ!!!:)

Sub'ed! Cool looking 5. Looks to be the same color as mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's my next project. All of my bushings are worn and it looks like nonstandard bolts were used. I'm hoping this helps to take some of the slop out of my ride.

3db1943c518210950935a8016dc16bc5.jpg

I'm hoping to get started on this in the next week.

I'm also going to have to get my soft top repaired. The seems came apart from excessive wind when I was trailering it to the trail and was going too fast. I had to take the top off at the side of the road. No permanent damage, just needs sewed.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Make sure you take pictures as you replace all of those bushings. You'll want to post that here. Years from now you'll love coming back and look at all the things you did to your CJ. Think of it as a visual record of YOUR CJ.

Make sure you take pictures as you replace all of those bushings. You'll want to post that here. Years from now you'll love coming back and look at all the things you did to your CJ. Think of it as a visual record of YOUR CJ.

You can title it-'What drove me to the nut house'. :laugh:
LG

I Got the soft top fixed at a local upholstery shop, cost me $30, but not put back on yet. I'm in the process of replacing the bushings and shackles. These were the bushings that came out. It was definitely time to replace them. I used a screwdriver to pry one side out and then a hammer on an impact wrench to get the other half out.

EnFoLQetVTx5P8uUuIc2eZp0y_Nl3dWD3pA=w1920-h1080-no.jpg

hFsXsP2a10uck6bBs1hQ2eVj8GAxTipfcy8=w1920-h1080-no.jpg

And here's the replacement shackle. One side anyway.

FCpLND0-glFN7DuTf6sRG0HYbvEgn7S_eQs=w1920-h1080-no.jpg

I haven't driven it yet to see if there is any noticeable difference. I'm still working on getting the rear main spring eye bushings out. Once I get that done I'll drive it and maybe put the soft top back on.

You've done quite a bit to that little CJ5. I can't wait to start in fixing some of the many issues I have on mine.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks