77 CJ-7 Frame worries

77 CJ-7 Frame worries
Thanks
I have had my CJ for 3 years now. I recently removed the body to replace old rotten, rusty body mounts. This is the first time I have had the body off and I noticed the welds on the frame are some of the worst I have ever seen. In fact alot of the welding on the frame isn't even there. There is alot of cracking and holes in the frame where the welds are or should be. Should I be worried about this? Should I look into replacing it?

I have had my CJ for 3 years now. I recently removed the body to replace old rotten, rusty body mounts. This is the first time I have had the body off and I noticed the welds on the frame are some of the worst I have ever seen. In fact alot of the welding on the frame isn't even there. There is alot of cracking and holes in the frame where the welds are or should be. Should I be worried about this? Should I look into replacing it?

I'm gonna be honest here..The welds on a CJ frame are not a work of art....so to speak :D. Try to get us a few pictures and we can better understand what you are seeing.

Hello danieljensen29 and welcome to our site! :chug:

You never mentioned what year CJ and if it is 5, 7 or 8. As CW said, the welds aren't the nicest and the earlier the CJ the worse they look. Also, depending on the year there may be many items attached by rivets and not welded.

If you fill out your profile we will know just what CJ you have! :) And as CW said, a picture or two will help immensely... :) You can attach the images to a post, use your own image account like photobucket or best yet - we have a free gallery for you to use (makes attaching and embedding images into your post very easy) - check out the directions here -->> http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f16/how-do-i-make-my-gallery-category-348/

X2 on all the above.
I have a 83 and had to weld some plates where it was rotted out in places. I have also had to reweld some seams and cracks, so don't give up to quick theres always hope.
Some pics will help us out on repairs.
Oh, welcome to the site:chug:

x3 on the less than beautiful factory welds. I rewelded some of the seams on mine last weekend, I'll probably end up doing them all before putting it back together. Do it right the first time & you'll thank yourself later.

If you had a way or knew someone who was drive through Fresno, I have a complete, clean CJ7 frame from a 77 that I would be willing to give you.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks