Build Thread 76' CJ7 Cheap Build (kind of)

Build Thread 76' CJ7 Cheap Build (kind of)

LaserBear

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ-7 258
I found this Jeep for sale on Marketplace April of last year, contacted the owner and told her I'd be there the next day with a trailer to pick it up!

It was her husband's Jeep and he was restoring it from what it looks like top to bottom. He passed away unfortunately in January of that year. She said he couldn't get it to run right, some carb issues.

Looking it over I saw that it had a new tub from Collins Bros, new Rugged Ridge Seats, Painless wiring, some new gauges, and a somewhat fresh coat of primer brown on the outside and bed liner in the tub. Theres a really small rust spot I have to clean up in the back of the tub where the rear seat mounts. The wife said the old inline 6 and transmission were both rebuilt, from the way the shifter feels it's definitely true.

I pushed it into the garage and tried to get it running, rebuilt that old Carter carb and still couldn't get it to run. So as I know hardly anything i have up and bought a new Webber carb. Wouldn't you know, it fired right up and kept running. I got rid of the evap contraption that was mounted on the manifold and made a cover for the hole left behind.

It looked as though there was already a 2.5" lift installed so I purchased some new Cooper Discoveries and Rough Country wagon wheels. The latter is still TBD if I like or not but for $57 each, it's hard to beat.

A friend gave me an old hard top that was sitting on his farm that needs some attention. I'd have to replace all the seals, hatch handle and give it all a fresh coat of paint, some day project.

For now I plan to get it back together and drive it for the summer, purchase a soft top, and get a working speedometer and tach. Paint might come later.

That's all I know!

TLDR: I bought an old jeep that I'm fixing up. 258, cooper stt pros, fresh rebuild, new tub, runs and drives.IMG_0330.JPG17110549795781668151225772390112.jpg17110561312553630892106776590624.jpg

So far it's been pretty cheap! I'm thinking $3k to get this thing to be a nice weekender
Ok thats relatively cheap. Heck of a deal getting a solid project like that in Michigan. Should be fun to follow along and see if you can stay on budget. What was the buy in if you dont mind? A new tub and wiring harness along with a rebuilt drivetrain arent cheap thats for sure.

Ok thats relatively cheap. Heck of a deal getting a solid project like that in Michigan. Should be fun to follow along and see if you can stay on budget. What was the buy in if you dont mind? A new tub and wiring harness along with a rebuilt drivetrain arent cheap thats for sure.
$900, I know I stole it. I told the lady it was worth more and she said she just wanted it gone. It's one of the best deals I've had.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Holy cow thats a deal. Ill be happy if I can get a decent tub for $900.

Holy cow thats a deal. Ill be happy if I can get a decent tub for $900.
Yeah I thought so too! I had a clapped out CJ5 before and was looking at new replacement tubs, they're not cheap. I'm thinking I'm going to rattle can it this summer with duplicolor, I've seen some really good results on YouTube. Learning as I go.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks