'76 CJ-5 Rear diff/axle/hub questions

'76 CJ-5 Rear diff/axle/hub questions

cglax6

Senior Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'76 CJ5, 351w, Ford T18/D20, D44 (open), D30 (open), 2.5" BDS spring lift, 31x10.5x15 tires
Posting kind of in conjunction with my post here regarding some nasty drum brake squeak that I have:

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f49/cyclical-drum-brake-squeak-another-brake-problem-29956/

I'm thinking worse case scenario...I might have a bad bearing and would have to replace it.

So my questions...

I have a '76 CJ5. It's been restored, and I didn't restore it...don't know the PO either. There's a lot of stuff on it that's not original. Was born with a 258, but has a 304 in it now with a T-18 and Dana 20 xfer case. The front diff is a Dana 30, and the rear is a Dana 44. Did '76s come with a Dana 44? I thought the AMC20 was for that year...maybe it was an option, I don't know. I can get pictures eventually, but it's definitely a Dana 44 back there. Just trying to see if what I have is not original to the Jeep.

Next question...did the Dana 44 come with 2-piece axles? If so, and if the bearing is toast, I think I'm just going to overhaul and replace with 1-piece.

I've never messed with replacing axles before, but I'm assuming I can learn whatever I need with a quick youtube search, correct?

Appreciate any answers on this.

The reason why I'm asking is because I drove the Jeep around one more time in the neighborhood to help me try to figure out exactly what was wrong before I go tearing into it, and when I got over 30mph or so, and the whole drive train started getting wobbly on me...seemed to be resonating from the rear axle. Could be that the rear brake was causing it because I have issues in there, or bearings are shot...but there was no real noise other than the cyclical squeaking of that rear left brake. It was even wobbling my transmission because the shifter was wobbling back and forth to match the frequency of the squeak.

I'm hoping it's just the brake that failed and not something else...but I want to be prepared for the worst.

Thanks all.

All '76s came with AMC20 rears. The Dana 44 was only used until '75, but isn't an uncommon swap. The AMC is pretty easy to ID with the round diff cover.

All of the centered Dana 44 rears I know of came with 1 piece shafts.

All '76s came with AMC20 rears. The Dana 44 was only used until '75, but isn't an uncommon swap. The AMC is pretty easy to ID with the round diff cover.

Kind of what I thought. I figured it wasn't original, because the pinion angles up and I needed to put in a CV drive shaft to keep from losing my teeth when I drove the thing. PO had a stock DS installed and the angles were way off.

And I definitely have a Dana 44...I don't have the pumpkin cover on the rear diff.

I just hope my issues are only with the brake on the left rear side...if not I may end up needing to replace bearings...if not an axle.

If I have to replace the axle, should I replace both sides?

Again, just planning for worst case scenario.

Thanks again.

Have you tried putting it on jack stands and running it and checking for a wheel wobble or see what the drive shaft is doing?

After I got home from work today, I put the Jeep on jack stands and took off the left rear drum. Tons of brake dust as I suspected. Initial inspection showed that there were no loose or broken parts. I pressed the e-brake and it worked as it should. Released it and everything went back in place.

Then I pressed the brake pedal, and only the forward shoe moved. I let go and it mostly went back into position. After pumping a few more times, the rear shoe never moved, even after giving it a couple east taps with a rubber mallet. After the pumping, the front shoe never returned, and it looks like the cylinder isn't letting it return to rest.

So, here's the other questions, since I was worries about the diff/hub/axle, I spun the rear right tire, and the left rear tire spins opposite. When I spun the rear left, nothing happens on the other side and the drive shaft spins. I always thought that when you don't hat, no matter what side, the opposite wheel should spin the opposite way, and the drive shaft shouldn't move. Am I wrong?

Also...this worries me too, and forgive my ignorance, but when all 4 wheels are jacked up in stands, I pressed in the clutch, started the engine and released the clutch with the transmission in neutral and xfer case in 2H. (I did this to get the power brakes going). When I released the clutch in neutral, the driveshaft was spinning and the left rear hub was spinning as if it were in first gear. The hub would stop spinning (along with the driveshaft) when I pressed in the clutch. How worried do I need to be? This doesn't sound right.

I'm going to start with replacing the left rear wheel brake cylinder and all hardware inside to get a freash start and see why that rear show won't budge. At this point, I don't think it's anything forward of that wheel cylinder because the right rear brake operates properly.

This transmission thing has be worried though.

Help please!!!!

Thanks you!!!

Have you tried putting it on jack stands and running it and checking for a wheel wobble or see what the drive shaft is doing?

No wheel wobble. Bearings are good.

It does not sound like you know how the brake shoes work. Like there are primary and secondary shoes. Read "Triggering the Secondary Shoe":https://itstillruns.com/difference-between-primary-secondary-brake-shoes-12245716.html

Got it. Not so worried about the rear shoe. I think the front shoe not returning is the problem.

So, what about the transmission turning the drive shaft while it is in neutral? Also turning the left rear wheel and the right rear wheel does nothing?

I'm definitely not an expert on transmissions and differentials!

Another update, I think the opposite wheel wasn't spinning because the brake on the other side was giving just enough resistance to keep it still. I sounds it harder this morning and the opposite wheel spun as it should.

The drive shaft turns when I spin the left rear wheel, but it doesnt turn when I spin the right rear wheel. Is that normal?

Another update, I think the opposite wheel wasn't spinning because the brake on the other side was giving just enough resistance to keep it still. I sounds it harder this morning and the opposite wheel spun as it should.

The drive shaft turns when I spin the left rear wheel, but it doesnt turn when I spin the right rear wheel. Is that normal?

That is normal for an open differential, meaning no posi or Limited slip.

OP-
What do you have in the way of service manuals for this jeep?
Are there any CJ clubs in your area?

LG

OP-
What do you have in the way of service manuals for this jeep?
Are there any CJ clubs in your area?

LG

No service manuals...

There are a couple clubs, but all modern Jeeps, so it didn't interest me.

BTW, LG hit it on the head with his post in the other forum about the brake part of this issue. When I took the drum off and inspected everything, the fork between the shoes that activates the emergency brake came out of it's slot and wasn't letting the shoe return home.

I still replaced all components on each side because it's cheap and all the kits come with enough hardware for both sides.

After installing everything and adjusting the shoes, she's back to driving like a dream.

I definitely got myself spun up on this one, and thanks to everyone for helping out.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks