Trans 74 dj5d tranny question

OleNate58

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 Jeep (AM General) DJ5D
Hello, I am a new member and was reading a thread from 2017 where a member apparently had the same problem I have. I have a '74 dj5d, 232, I think, maybe a 258 since the starter is on the right, with a tired m11 tranny. I read that it could probably be swapped for a 727 unit for an easy bolt up! My question is this. My m11 has the shortest tailshaft I've ever seen, and all the 727's seem to be quite a bit longer! So, is there a particular car model or truck model I should be sourcing this from and specific year? I was just gonna have my m11 rebult, but it looks like it already was by the amount of rtv outside (and inside) that I found. I'm guessing a Chimps been into this thing, and it is probably damaged ! Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the info, but all that would probably only apply if I was converting the dj to 4wd. I'm leaving it 2wd and just hunting for solutions to do that. Thanks just the same.

From Novak's web site:
"AMC in 1980 made the Torqueflite 727 available in the Full Size Jeeps (J-Trucks and Wagoneer) with AMC I6 and V8 engines. This transmission was called the Torque-Command by Jeep. The 727 is mechanically compatible with the Jeep/Mopar 4.0L I6 engine, but because the 4.0L requires a crank position sensor normally mounted at the bellhousing, this adaptation gets more complicated. The use of a crank sensor mounted at the front harmonic balancer would be required."

"While the 727 main case is numerically short on paper, it is effectively as long as the similar TH350 & TH400, shifting its modulator and parking pawl into the adapter / tailhousing space. The Jeep version is 22-5/8" long."

The 727’s tail housing on the 2x4 version is in fact extremely long, based on basic searches. The absence of a transfer case is favorable in this case.

There are other automatic transmissions that likely will bolt up to your engine like the TF999 or AW4 that could be considered.

If you are willing to pay for a professional rebuild of your m11 then that is probably your best option. Welcome.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks