Diff 4we only??

Differentials
Diff 4we only??

Kenhammer67

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
‘78 CJ7, 305, T150, D20
I was driving my 78cj7 when I heard a loud whine then I had no forward motion switched to 4wd and drove home? How can I tell if I blew the rear end or spun the axle or did my transfer case take a :dung:?? I have 305 with A T-150 tranny and an AMC20 rear with 4:10 gears not 100% sure which transfer caseworker

First welcome! If it's mostly stock the TC would be a Dana 20. If I had to guess rearend, if you still have 2 piece axles, spun a hub.

Based on the Limited description, I'm gonna go with spun a rear axle. I blew a rear end in a 78 Bronco once.... Definitely was NOT a whine.......

It's like coming home again!!! Via Tapatalk

Have someone see if the nut in the middle of your rear wheels is spinning instead of the vehicle moving.
Spun/stripped drive (wheel) flanges aren't unusual on the axles of AMC20 differentials.

Thanks finally was able to put it up on jack stands and here is what I found both rear tires spun at idle but I was able to stop then with holding the tire even with a little speed I was able to hand stop the tires guessing the axles are done for.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks