4wd ?

4wd ?

dalefan88

Crazy Sr. Respected Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 cj5 258, t150, dana 20 transfer case, dana 30 front, 20 rear,warn hubs,2.5" procomp lift,teamrush,msd box,mc2100 carb,hedman header,clifford intake,optima battery, ford shock towers.
im still learning my jeep. we finally got our first big snow fall. i locked the hubs hop in put it in neutrel, put it in 4hi and drove it around the block and 4wd never locked in. the shifter acts like it dont wont to stay in 4hi. so i come to a stop put in back in neutrel put it in 4lo and the shifter stayed there. went around the block again, still nothing.
angryfire.gif
any ideas. this is one reason i wanted the jeep. thanks jesse

what? you don't trust us on the other site? :laugh: It does sound like the hubs are sticking, as they said.

what? you don't trust us on the other site? :laugh: It does sound like the hubs are sticking, as they said.
I have a feeling I am missing something here... :confused:

Easy check... After you get it into low or high range, stick your head out the door and look under the Jeep as you inch forward. Is the front drive shaft turning? If yes then the hubs are stuck.

If it hasn't been locked in in a while, many times the grease packs up and the springs can't overcome the friction to slide in and lock the axle. What kind of hubs?

If it's a little cold (probably is with snow on the ground), believe it or not... Sometimes taking a heat gun and warming the hubs will lower the viscosity of the grease enough and you can get them to engage. Once you get em once, they might start working again as long as you use them a few times.

I have a feeling I am missing something here... :confused:
NO not missing much...We are both members over on Jeeps-offroad.com also.
I recognized his screen name when he came over here.
He's just looking for even more informed opinions from even bigger Jeep nuts and I couldn't help giving him :censored:. :laugh:

MM.. you gave more detail on the hubs and how to check them I believe.
Pretty good advise up there. :) The heat gun trick I hadn't thought of!

MM.. you gave more detail on the hubs and how to check them I believe.
Pretty good advise up there. :) The heat gun trick I hadn't thought of!
I helped a friend in KY one time get his Jeep working after years of sitting. It was cold as could be and we could not get the hubs to engage... After taking them apart and cleaning them they worked for a bit but became pissy after sitting again. I knew they were packed correctly. I looked at the grease he had given me and it was NOT for cold usage. A heat gun and thirty minutes later and he was good to go again...

I just snagged another set of the old HD Warn hubs just incase (they were free beside) Their soaking in gasoline right now. They are full of the old yellow packing grease, and hard as hell. I doubt those things would have ever worked in that condition. I could barely move the selector!

Quick question here whilst we are on the topic of 4x4, but it is something I have thought about before -

Is there a significant increase in fuel consumption when using 4x4 transmission as opposed to the standard driving 2 wheel drive?

I just wondered for the sake of knowing those extra facts you know...

I guess a couple things would matter...

1) Your definition of significant... :D
2) I'm going to assume you mean through a standard type transfer case like a spicer 20 compared to a vehicle with no transfer case at all.

I would have to say no, you simply would be turning a few more gears that are on the shaft. There is not THAT much drag but it is I'm sure measurable but minimal. Now, if your talking VS a full time transfer case that is engaged all the time, I would say yes...

Well not full time transfer case, as I would only really measure (or try, in vain!) with one of the garage engines being worked on, as it was going to be a little experiment, at someone else's fuel expense, but I suppose it's all about the fuel difference noticable from different gears anyway.

Cheers for the reply.

ya i thought i would check this site out. some sites you put a ? on and no one answers. so if someone answers my ?s i put the site in my favorites. if nothing i delete the site. so far im liking this site.

ya i thought i would check this site out. some sites you put a ? on and no one answers. so if someone answers my ?s i put the site in my favorites. if nothing i delete the site. so far im liking this site.
Glad we can stay in your book marks...

Now, let's get those hubs locked... Have you made any progress? Is the front drive shaft turning?

i work 9 hours a day and have no garage. so the jeep is manly a weekend toy. during the summer i play with it more after work. but by the time i get home it is dark and cold. plus i spend time with my daughter and wife.

i work 9 hours a day and have no garage. so the jeep is manly a weekend toy. during the summer i play with it more after work. but by the time i get home it is dark and cold. plus i spend time with my daughter and wife.

Dang, that pretty much sums up most of my life right now...we should start a club! :)

But I get to take a vacation (If you call a 1200 mile trip into the frozen NE, and working 12.5 hrs a day/6 days a week deployment a vacation) from it starting Friday.

what should we call our club.

i had the jeep out today. got going about 5 mph slammed it into 4lo and the engine and everything felt different. i think it was in 4wd but the hubs arent locking. so i guess whenever i get time i will take them off and clean and grease them. hopfuly that fixes it.

i had the jeep out today. got going about 5 mph slammed it into 4lo and the engine and everything felt different. i think it was in 4wd but the hubs arent locking. so i guess whenever i get time i will take them off and clean and grease them. hopfuly that fixes it.
Ouch! That is REALLY hard on the transfer case... You might not want to do that again...

If your having trouble getting it into 4L, the best way is to put some pressure on the transfer case shifter with your right hand and just slip the clutch a little and see if it will pop in.

i know it was probally not the right way of doing it. someone on another site said to go about 5 mph and put it in 4wd. it grinded the first time so the second i said what the hell and slammed it in. i will not do that again. people keep teling me to scuff the front tires when i put it in. i have no clue what they mean by scuff the tire.

Don't know what they mean by 'scuff'.

It's ok to be moving to put the transfer case in gear, I just think 5 mph is a bit fast...

Also, Some times I had a much better time inching it into 4L by backing up just a little at the same time as pushing down on the shift lever.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom