Engine 4 cyl

Engine 4 cyl

Patrick

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
82 CJ5, LS 6.2, NV3550/D300, D44/30

68 CJ5, 350, Muncie/D18, D44/27 under construction
I actually like LS swaps when you have the expertise and or money to do it and it's needed. My friends CJ8 LS 460LE is one heck of a vehicle. It's one of the best GM engines ever produced.
That 4 cyl rocks! :chug:

Looks interesting to me.

I posted about that 4 banger a long time ago.

I love a properly done LS swap

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
All good. I don't think it's for sale it was just a one off they did

We all love it when mods are properly done, of course. Good news is, with all readily available information, non-native engine swaps don’t have to be expensive.

We all love it when mods are properly done, of course. Good news is, with all readily available information, non-native engine swaps don’t have to be expensive.
True to a degree have you priced an LS recently? I did one for a customer it was an LS1 for an 02 trans am (factory LS car) replacement engine was 800 miles away 1200 bucks and then we had to spend 4,100 getting it rebuilt.

I love an LS and thought about putting one in my CJ when I killed my 4.2. however with there popularity the price was just two much.

True to a degree have you priced an LS recently? I did one for a customer it was an LS1 for an 02 trans am (factory LS car) replacement engine was 800 miles away 1200 bucks and then we had to spend 4,100 getting it rebuilt.

I love an LS and thought about putting one in my CJ when I killed my 4.2. however with there popularity the price was just two much.

Ouch, in todays economy that's getting into Big Mac territory... ;)

MM, I would not use any engine that needs rebuilding or even a crated (rebuilt or not) one. That is part of the money saving strategy. For the engine type in question, one with 80k miles is considered for use. You still have another 100k miles left with only periodic oil changes.

There are many variants in this family, but there is one that is especially well suited for a CJ: the all aluminum one. It brings a slew of benefits even in the handling, and not in terms of power.

Just a little observation on my part, I was looking for a used pickup, mainly a GM one 5 - 10 years old, and talking to a few people I knew around the neighborhood and at work. People with 75 - 125K miles never changing the transmission fluid. Some not even changing the oil as often as should be. Especially the ones that trade in their vehicles at 4 - 8 years. That scared me off until I find someone I know I can trust did.

MM, I would not use any engine that needs rebuilding or even a crated (rebuilt or not) one. That is part of the money saving strategy. For the engine type in question, one with 80k miles is considered for use. You still have another 100k miles left with only periodic oil changes.

There are many variants in this family, but there is one that is especially well suited for a CJ: the all aluminum one. It brings a slew of benefits even in the handling, and not in terms of power.
The LS 1 is all aluminum. They're harder to find since they're from the 90s but that is what was in the car.

Personally I like the all aluminum LS2 (have one in my 09 Holden Commodore)

These were also used in vettes and 2500 serrieras and Silverado in the early 2000s. Even still there harder to find with low mileage. I have nearly 150k on mine and I've owned it since almost new.

The used car market right now keeps prices up as well. Used to be easy to buy a wrecked truck or used fairly cheap get the parts you wanted and move on

Case in point 275k miles no warranty 2,100 bucks plus shipping

186033160485576b823168c336632394.png

Last edited:
Belizean, the feature that disables four cylinders for fuel economy is the only headache to worry about with regards to the engine. The slushbox is a different story. 5 to 10 years old would be a whole different engine but still a decent one.

MM, gen fours are abundant, or at least fairly easy to find.

Cash for clunkers did in the used car parts business....... or at least took a lot out of the market.

Cash for clunkers did in the used car parts business....... or at least took a lot out of the market.
Biggest waste of my tax dollars ever.

I know the LS is newer technology and people (including me as well) think they're a great option. But for cost (IMO) a Gen 1 SBC is simple, easy, cheaper, parts everywhere, easy to service, and readily customizable - including every option needed to put one in a CJ and mate it up to almost any trans. I love my fuel injected SBC in my CJ.

I know the LS is newer technology and people (including me as well) think they're a great option. But for cost (IMO) a Gen 1 SBC is simple, easy, cheaper, parts everywhere, easy to service, and readily customizable - including every option needed to put one in a CJ and mate it up to almost any trans. I love my fuel injected SBC in my CJ.
You can top a Gen 1 sbc with a sniper EFI and still be miles ahead in the cost game over adapting an LS.

I just like them for weight savings heat decapitation and gobs of power.

Like I said cost is the main reason I didn't go for it when I killed the 6 banger. The thought did cross my mind to build the Pontiac 455 that's in my shed to drop in.

Buy local. Once again this is another part of the low buck strategy. And you can inspect the engine until you like it. A visit to the wrecking yard can be a lot of fun because you will run into some very interesting things like great transmissions and axles or just about anything. Many times they have set prices for major components. Here’s another money saving trick: get all the engine accessories!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks