4.2 motor build

4.2 motor build

coldair

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 cj7 in the works,
1996 F350 crew cab with a 5.9 cummins
Im rebuilding and while im there im building my 258. I sent it off to the mechanist last week to have the block boilded, bored 0.030, new cam bearings, crank turned, new pistons/rings, 264 duration clifford cam, have the block zero decked, (Ive called the mechanist around 10 times pretty sure he is getting tired of me calling)
Im also installing a 4.0 head on the motor, This is another thing i have talked to him about is the head and water jacket holes. I dont want to wield the holes up and JB wield is out of the question! So im going to have the head CNC and freeze pluged, with the block zero decked, dished pistons and 4.0 head the compression comes out to around 10 to 1.
Now on to the howell fuel injection i already have for the motor. I called Howells up told them what i had going on they can burn me a chip to work with the cam and everything else im doing to the motor.
More to come in the next few weeks :D

Sounds sweeet!:drool:

Sounds sweeet!:drool:
Thanks Sasquach! After I get my jeep put back together and the motor is broke in im going to drive it down the a place i know where they have a dyno and see what she makes! :driving:

You'll have to fill us in on the dyno results.

I'm sure youll love it.

More photos please.:D

I will get pictures when all the work is done to the block. Maybe i will video the dyno pulls. They charge $40 to strap it down :eek:, $10 a pull think i will do 2 maybe 3 pulls.

Oh Yeah!!! :popcorn:
I will get pictures when all the work is done to the block. Maybe i will video the dyno pulls. They charge $40 to strap it down :eek:, $10 a pull think i will do 2 maybe 3 pulls.

I'm just finishing up the same setup minus the fuel injection, and should be ready to go in by the end of the month. The engine is done and on my stand, just working through some bracket issues. If I can find a dyno around here, I'd like to check my stock engine before I pull it, then do another dyno after the swap.

Question on the cam though, without going outside to look, I think I put in a 252. What difference will there be between mine and yours? Did your machine shop recommend that particular cam?

The cam was recommended CJim7 ( Thanks Jim ) and also by clifford performance there cam is ground for the howell fuel injection.

You can get this cam through Clifford that isn't ground for the fuel injection also. They come with lifters and push rods.

Last edited:
I've been talking to Larry at Clifford per he told me I should shave .060 off my head :eek: not sure I really want to do that but he told me a can get up to 360 Ft lbs of torque.

Wow that seems like alot. Kinda livin on the edge no? I dont know I havent seen how much meat is actually there though so maybe not. Love that torque number though. :cool:
I've been talking to Larry at Clifford per he told me I should shave .060 off my head :eek: not sure I really want to do that but he told me a can get up to 360 Ft lbs of torque.

Wow that seems like alot. Kinda livin on the edge no? I dont know I havent seen how much meat is actually there though so maybe not. Love that torque number though. :cool:

I love the torque numbers too:D not sure I want to be living on the edge with this motor. I just sent my head off to get it cnc and freeze plugged. I think Ill call and talk to Larry more about this.

I think I did .030 on mine. Haven't run it yet, so I can't say how it will do.

Update the crank has been installed, pistions, rings, block 0 decked, Head will be manchined to fit freeze plugs this week then shaved 10 thous all together 20 thous I will be picking both up the 19th. I will take pictures when i get it. I also will be going to novak also when im there. I will be odering the cam, lifter, push rods, sometime the end of this month,

The head had 2 bad valves. I will have a 3 angle valve job done with new valves. Cant wait to get her back!

Update the crank has been installed, pistions, rings, block 0 decked, Head will be manchined to fit freeze plugs this week then shaved 10 thous all together 20 thous I will be picking both up the 19th. I will take pictures when i get it. I also will be going to novak also when im there. I will be odering the cam, lifter, push rods, sometime the end of this month,

Sorry about that post i didnt proof read it.

I took .060 off mine. The motor had some damn good grunt.

Picked the motor up Saturday it's been a long wait but well worth it. Sorry no pictures yet my stupid IPhone won't let me post pictures. Anyway the machine work is top notch :D very satisfied. If you live in Utah give me a Pm I will give you the name and address of the shop.
The block was bored .030 new pistons, rings, new cam bearings, crank turned .010 zero decked the block was told 0.10, clifford cam will be on it's way some time this week. New timing chain/gears, Head new 3 angle valve job new exhaust and intake valves new springs.
The machinist said the 4.0 didnt need freeze plugged. We talked over the phone about the over hang of holes he asured me it would not leak. :confused: I mocked the head up on the block 16th of an inch of over hang. I think I will JB wield the holes shut just to be sure ( not really a big fan of this but with a 16th of an inch of over lap it won't be a problem)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks