2nd Annual Colorado Jeep-CJ.com Trail Ride

Will you make it to the Jeep-CJ.com trail ride in Colorado?

• Total voters
2nd Annual Colorado Jeep-CJ.com Trail Ride

BusaDave9

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ5 with 304 V8, T18 Transmission, Dana 20 Transfer case with TeraLow 3:1 gears, 4.88 axle gears, Detroit Locker up front and Ox Locker in back with 1 piece axle shafts, 36" SuperSwamper SX Tires, Shackle reversal, MileMarker Hydraulic winch, MSD 6A ignition.
We are now planning the trail ride in the San Juan Mountains of SW Colorado.
This trail ride will be hosted by Jeep-CJ.com (Thanks CJ) :notworthy:
Participants will get the following:
1. Windshield Banner
2. Circular Jeep-CJ.com sticker
3. Gas will be paid for while on the trail ride.

It will be taking place August 27th through the 31st 2012. Ouray Colorado will be our base. We will be having breakfast and dinner at restaurants or you can bring a grill. Bring a cooler to carry sandwiches and drinks. Lunch will be on the trails.
A CB Radio is recommended. This is how we will communicate on the trails.
865_AmericanBasinCJ5Large.jpg
Here are the tentative plans:
Monday August 27 we will be taking Engineer Pass to Hurricane basin. This portion of the trip will be similar to the first post of this thread: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f63/alpine-loop-colorado-9927/#post81613
This trail is the alpine loop but I don't think we will be going all the way to Lake City. This trail starts off very rocky. It is not hard. Even a stock CJ can easily make it but it is rough. We will be using 4WD Low and it will be slow going.
We will be turning back when the trail becomes 2WD.
Then we will go to Animas Forks ghost town. We will then be taking California Pass and Corkscrew Pass back to Ouray. This portion of the trip will be similar to the first day of last years Jeep-CJ.com Trail Ride except we will be going the opposite direction. Check out this post and the next few in this thread: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f63/jeep-cj-com-colorado-trail-ride-6722/index5.html#post82377

That first day might be a long day. I might end up shortening it up.
014Large.jpg
The second day I hope to take the infamous Black Bear Pass into Telluride. We will then come over Imogene Pass back into Ouray. Black Bear Pass is rated as a hard trail but I really don't think it's that hard. The real issue is it is scary. There are ledges that might not be suitable for acrophobes. For an idea what this day will be like check out this thread: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f63/black-bear-imogene-passes-6540/
IOPort has already told me he is eager to traverse this pass but if others are afraid to try it there is an alternate route over Ophir Pass.

PoughkeepsieGulchSignSmall.jpg
If the participants are up to it we may be trying Poughkeepsie Gulch one of the days. This trail is a bit more difficult than the others. You will need lockers. It starts off mild but then it ascends a long slope with loose rock. Even with lockers you can tell you are not moving as fast as your tires because of the rocks sliding and rolling under your tires. If you thought that part was hard you are in for a surprise at the top. There we will encounter an obstacle that doesn't have a bypass. This is a rock ledge. If you fail to make it up you can winch yourself up.

Another trail we may be going on will be the trail to Bear Town site and then on to Kite Lake. I covered this trail on this thread: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f63/beartown-site-wager-gulch-carson-city-ghost-town-10619/#post86323
An important difference is in the above thread I took a very long way to Bear Town Site. There is a much shorter way we will be using to get there.

Here's another thread that will give you an idea of what to expect: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f63/mountain-trails-near-silverton-colorado-9630/

These plans are very tentative. I really want feedback from the participants to help decide what trails to go on. If you want to come along but would prefer more mild trails please let me know. The only person that has expressed interest in the 2nd Anual Colorado Jeep-CJ.com Trail Ride so far has been IOPort51. The above trail rides are based solely on his suggestions.

Here are a couple of motels in Ouray that you can book your reservations at:

The Rivers Edge Motel 866-739-4987

Ouray Hotel | BEST WESTERN PLUS Twin Peaks Lodge & Hot Springs | Ouray, Colorado 800-207-2700 or 970-325-4427

Both of the above motels can accommodate parking for a truck and trailer.

Last edited:
If I am alive I will be there.:D
and the lockers should be in by then.:cool:

This is a long way off.
I have just changed jobs and won't have much time off this summer but if any of you will be in SW Colorado before then let me know. I can always show you around the mountain trails on weekends.

Last edited:
It says gas on the trail will be paid for..... does that include propane..

Just kidding. If I can I want to make it

This would be an awesome trip! We'll have to see, my Jeep needs everything to make it capable of those trails, winch, one piece axles, lockers.. CB could make it into the Jeep today, lol.. As far as gas goes, I don't go very far with my gas, if you know what I mean, and I have never tuned a carb for that kind of altitude.. I have a new 470 truck avenger holley on my 304, and I get about 10 mpg right out of the box, and although these carbs are designed for off camber wheeling, do you think it would be a problem? Anyways, I'll be messing with it this year to see how much "off camber" it can take, I'd hate to be at 12,000 ft and not be able to keep it running... I really hope I can get it ready though, and I hope my being a total novice with any wheeling beyond my earlier post, won't put you guys off... just putting that out there.. :D

This would be an awesome trip! We'll have to see, my Jeep needs everything to make it capable of those trails, winch, one piece axles, lockers.
The only mod I would make sure you have is the one piece axles. Just do all the regular maintenance such as checking the u-joints before hand.
If you don't have lockers you won't be able to go up Poughkeepsie Gulch but I'm not even sure we will be going up that trail. If we do, you could take an alternate route. We'll have to revisit this after we can take a consensus and decide what trails to go on.

I have never tuned a carb for that kind of altitude.. I have a new 470 truck avenger holley on my 304, and I get about 10 mpg right out of the box, and although these carbs are designed for off camber wheeling, do you think it would be a problem? Anyways, I'll be messing with it this year to see how much "off camber" it can take, I'd hate to be at 12,000 ft and not be able to keep it running.
I would leave your carb as it is. Don't retune it for this one trip. When I bought my CJ5 it was tuned for sea level but it did just fine in the mountains.
Your Truck Avenger should work out good.

I really hope I can get it ready though, and I hope my being a total novice with any wheeling beyond my earlier post, won't put you guys off... just putting that out there.. :D
Please come out. This trip will be doable by a novice in a stock CJ (plus one piece axles). If some of us want to take difficult trails I will find bypasses or alternate routes for the novices.

with the possible exception of poughkeepsie gulch and one section of black bear pass a stock CJ would be able to travel these trails. I am not trying to make light of the terrain but I don't think you need a lunar rover to make this trip. As carbs go I have every intention of running a little rich coming across the divide and worse case I will only have one locked axle and still have the T-150 3 speed. This is not a technically difficult trail,for the most part, but it is one of the ultimate trails in the country and you will never regret driving it. The primary requirement is dependability, make sure your rig can make it home. having to be towed off a mountain is not only embarrassing and expensive it can be dangerous, it gets damned cold up there at night , even in August. Things like first aid kit, rain gear blankets and shelter could come in very handy. I think CB will be important and your cell phone will just be a lump in your pocket.

On the other hand, I bet Dave knows a couple of trails where you can let your little voice scream like a little girl and there is a possibility of breaking some hardware.:D

I am really looking forward to this trip and Jeeping with Dave is going to be a major hoot, not often you cam make a trip like this with someone that really knows the terrain. I would like to think that some day a couple of locals will be setting in the pub and one says to other, "do you remember when those CJs came through here??"

This would be an awesome trip! We'll have to see, my Jeep needs everything to make it capable of those trails, winch, one piece axles, lockers.. CB could make it into the Jeep today, lol.. As far as gas goes, I don't go very far with my gas, if you know what I mean, and I have never tuned a carb for that kind of altitude.. I have a new 470 truck avenger holley on my 304, and I get about 10 mpg right out of the box, and although these carbs are designed for off camber wheeling, do you think it would be a problem? Anyways, I'll be messing with it this year to see how much "off camber" it can take, I'd hate to be at 12,000 ft and not be able to keep it running... I really hope I can get it ready though, and I hope my being a total novice with any wheeling beyond my earlier post, won't put you guys off... just putting that out there.. :D

Well then, I guess I'll need to get busy and get this old Jeep ready for Colorado! The only real obsticle, is getting the time off from work.. but that shouldn't be too much harder than climbing out of an Iowa ditch...

AARG!!!
I sure do wish I lived a bit closer than Fla !!!

It would be WAY WAY too far to drive my CJ out there!!

I know local groups go to MOAB but trailer their rigs there....

Just looking at the few pics you put up makes me very envious Dave... equally as envious of those of you who are able to go.

It says gas on the trail will be paid for..... does that include propane..

That was the question I was going to post before I saw yours :D

But seriously...how much propane am I going to need to bring...?
I skimmed over a lot of this thread...so I may have missed the all around miles involved here...
We want to make this trip though, it sounds like a lot of fun :cool:

just for curiosity, how many miles can you go on whatever you carry??:cool:

That was the question I was going to post before I saw yours :D

But seriously...how much propane am I going to need to bring...?
I skimmed over a lot of this thread...so I may have missed the all around miles involved here...
We want to make this trip though, it sounds like a lot of fun :cool:

Depends on how heavy my foot is for the day. I can get a full day out of a tank

I would love to go but don't think eather one of my jeeps will be ready to go. Think I might sell my 5 to fund the build of my 7. Need locker super 30 axles, 4.10 gears, t18 trans, build or buy my front/back bumpers, install winch, install new motor, 4.0 head

I was just doing the math, about 2200 miles round trip, at maybe 12 mpg (probably 10), and $4.00 gasoline, equals holy cowabunga! :D

What do the hotels avg a night? Is that what we're doing, or camping?

I was just doing the math, about 2200 miles round trip, at maybe 12 mpg, and $4.00 gasoline, equals holy cowabunga!
That works out to $733.33 for gas (money well spent):D

What do the hotels avg a night? Is that what we're doing, or camping?

Do what you want but I plan on staying at The Rivers Edge Motel 866-739-4987
It is costing me $86.79 per night.
If you would rather camp, check out the KOA in Ouray: Ouray KOA | Camping in Colorado | KOA Campgrounds It's just north of town and can accommodate big trailers or tents.

Or if you would rather find your own spot in the mountains then you can four wheel 20 minutes out on any trail and camp almost anywhere for free. No charge to camp in the forest (and few restrictions). This is what I usually do. I throw a tent in my CJ and head for the mountains. I don't even known if I will get back before night. If it starts to get dark I just stop where I am. I set up camp and decide to stay for the night. But let me forewarn you: it's hard to find a good camp-site because of rocks. For that reason I bought a cot tent.
34_tent__small.jpg

You could find a good smooth camp-site near the north end of Poughkeepsie gulch or in Yankee Boy Basin. If you or anyone else wants to do this type of camping show up a day early and I can help you find a spot.

For the Jeep-CJ trail ride I plan on staying in a motel for convenience. If you want to join us in town for breakfast you will have a little farther to drive.

Last edited:
just exactly where is Bear town??:D

just exactly where is Bear town??:D
From Silverton we will take Stoney Pass that heads east over the Continental divide. Then we will turn south into a valley that goes into the Weminuche Wilderness. This valley is not really in the Weminuche Wilderness but the Weminuche Wilderness surrounds the valley. At half a million acres the Weminuche is the largest wilderness area in Colorado and maybe the lower 48. Mechanized vehicles are not allowed in the wilderness area. By mechanized I mean bicycles are not even allowed. Bear Town site is a notch that extends into the wilderness area. Cool place.

3200 miles round trip for me

Will you be driving your CJ all the way??? That's my plan.. :D

And I'm up for what the majority wants to do, camp or hotel, I'll pack for both and I just might have my little trailer project done by then too.. I plan on getting a 12 man tent and having a small mess hall incorporated into it somehow.. we'll see how that goes.. :D

Thanks for all the pictures, it's beautiful country up there. I know I'll never get to those trails but they are the ones dreams are made of. I would drive them all except for black bear pass. I get the pucker effect just looking at your pics and others of that hill. I don't think I could put that much trust into mechanical failures not happening. I'm not scared of much but that hill is definitely something I would be if I was behind the wheel. I'd rather walk it down!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom