2nd Annual Colorado Jeep-CJ.com Trail Report

2nd Annual Colorado Jeep-CJ.com Trail Report
Beautiful pics and trails! And I am sure they don't even come close to the awesomeness of the real thing...

Last edited:
Made it home.:D

what we needed was passengers that could take pictures, I don't know about Dave but I was a little busy most of the time.

this was an incredible trip and I got to hang out with some really great people, want to thank Dave , Dan and Danice for putting up with me.

The pictures that we took were great but do not begin to show the kind of terrain we encountered and the odd angles that we climbed and descended.

I was very unpressed with the performance and ability of both the machinery and the drivers of the three CJs, We rocked!! I could not have imagined that anyone would even think about driving a vehicle down Black bear pass and I am still amazed at the way the CJ handled every obstacle like it was born to it, which I guess really, it was. I think that both Dave and I are total Bad 4$$s for having made it down.

And through it all we had no real mechanical problems. I did have a bit of overheating and I did develop a radiator leak but it did not stop the ride, just had to stop and cool down a couple of times.

I will say to anyone planning on making this trip next year, this is a very bad place to have to walk out of and it will be very difficult to get any response from the auto club if you break down.:D

Glad you guys had a good time. Great pictures, too. I am going to try and make it next year.

There are alot of us on this site in CO and TX that if we start planning for next year now you can have a better turn out next year I know I will do my best to be there.

Not sure how many members there is in wyoming but I would love to go next year.

Glad you guys had a good time. Great pictures, too. I am going to try and make it next year.

Next year will be the 3rd year. Each of these have been planed with a year notice. Even though I know there are members on the front range (CO), Wyoming and in AZ each of those locations are 7 or more hours of driving to get to Ouray. That's a very long way to drive a CJ. Not everyone has a pickup that can be used as a tow vehicle.
Consider this an invite for everyone to join in on the 3rd annual CO trail ride. I can't give specifics except it will most likely, once again be held in late August. I want to avoid the crowd that likes to come in July. Also the rainy season usually ends by this time although I admit it is still raining in the afternoons:(.
I always like to promise trails that a stock CJ can conquer. But I also seek feedback from participants. If you want challenges let me know. If you just want nice scenery, let me know.
Unless participants tell me otherwise I think we will skip Poughkeepsie Gulch. I also hope we can count on Black Bear Pass. Its a great sense of accomplishment tackling that famous trail. A stock CJ can do Black Bear but the same can't be said for Poughkeepsie.
I just hope to have at least 3 participants on each day of trail rides.
And although I don't' think this will be a problem, I don't want to lead 10 or more jeeps over the mountain trails.

I hope to see several of you next year.
:grinjeep:

Made it home.:D

what we needed was passengers that could take pictures, I don't know about Dave but I was a little busy most of the time.

this was an incredible trip and I got to hang out with some really great people, want to thank Dave , Dan and Danice for putting up with me.

The pictures that we took were great but do not begin to show the kind of terrain we encountered and the odd angles that we climbed and descended.

I was very unpressed with the performance and ability of both the machinery and the drivers of the three CJs, We rocked!! I could not have imagined that anyone would even think about driving a vehicle down Black bear pass and I am still amazed at the way the CJ handled every obstacle like it was born to it, which I guess really, it was. I think that both Dave and I are total Bad behinds for having made it down.

And through it all we had no real mechanical problems. I did have a bit of overheating and I did develop a radiator leak but it did not stop the ride, just had to stop and cool down a couple of times.

I will say to anyone planning on making this trip next year, this is a very bad place to have to walk out of and it will be very difficult to get any response from the auto club if you break down.:D

IO it was good to meet you! For the rest of you I met IO << p u r e l y by coincidence>> in the hotel parking lot! I was there with my wife and we did Black Bear and Imogene the same day they did, but we did it with San Juan Scenic Jeep Tours with Wild Bill driving the J20. Super day.

Anyway, I'd like my CJ7 to be ready next year for the drive, but we shall see. I've been a photographer for 25 years so hopefully I can help out with that portion.

I was going to mention meeting you but there was some question about the handle and I thought you said you were from Minnesota. Oh well. How long did it take to make that trip with the tour? we took about 9 hours to make Black bear and Imogene and wondered how they could do it much faster
this is the guy you went with?

IO it was good to meet you! For the rest of you I met IO << p u r e l y by coincidence>> in the hotel parking lot! I was there with my wife and we did Black Bear and Imogene the same day they did, but we did it with San Juan Scenic Jeep Tours with Wild Bill driving the J20. Super day.

Anyway, I'd like my CJ7 to be ready next year for the drive, but we shall see. I've been a photographer for 25 years so hopefully I can help out with that portion.

We left at 8:30 and got back at 5:15 with an hour lunch at Floradora in Telluride. I'd guess we stopped about 10 times at 5mins each to take pictures etc. Bill has done Black Bear about 2000 times (literally) so he must know where to make time and he doesn't have to study route options. I'd say you did well with a 9hr trip as you stopped for pictures as well.

We left at 8:30 and got back at 5:15 with an hour lunch at Floradora in Telluride.
How did you get back to Ouray from Telluride? Imogene Pass or the highway?

...and yes - that's a picture of Bill...

I was thinking of taking the tour so I would have hands free to take pictures.:D

This is devotion... Hours spent towing!

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0643.jpg
    IMG_0643.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1,042
Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! :chug: :chug: :chug:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0651.jpg
    IMG_0651.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 1,898
  • IMG_0662.jpg
    IMG_0662.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 986
What a shot! If you all are interested I can make all the pics from Busa and IO available... Just let me know...

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0730.jpg
    IMG_0730.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,718
What a shot! If you all are interested I can make all the pics from Busa and IO available... Just let me know...

attachment.php

I would love to see all the pictures!!

Just reading about it had my heart in my throat! What an adventure! I seriously hope to be there next year, but my whole family (wife and my two boys and girlfriends and our future grandson/daughter :D) are planning a big move to Wichita, Ks. next year around this time or possibly later, so that may get in the way but I'm gonna try!!

I'll post up a gallery for the pics.

I need to resize them as Busa,s images are close to 3 gigs! Each of his pics are 6.5 Meg's!

Just got off of the phone with my brother. It looks like the Scrambler will be going to Co next year! Oh YEA!

Thanks to all of you for the pics and stories. Looks like a great time. I still don't know if I could stomach Black Bear. Maneuvering around on those switchback turns gives me the jitters; it's do or die!
Someone mentioned a video??

CJ'

Thank you for the offer on the fuel.
The ole girl only consumes 1 gallon per hour.
So take my portion and apply it to you plane ticket you did not get to use.:)

I just moved from Sheridan back to fort Bridger.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom