283 Chevy small block valve covers

283 Chevy small block valve covers

Lilredwagon

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1960 CJ5, 1972 wagon, 2006 Chevy 3/4 ton Duramax
Hello, I'm rebuilding my engine and I need new valve covers. I want a set with a PVC/valve. Mine have offset bolt holes which seem to make my part shopping a bit more challenging. My local parts guy said my small block probably came out of something 1957 or older. He can get me a set but they are over $300 and in light of the fact that I had some water in my engine I'd prefer to not put that much out in case I actually have a cracked block instead of a cracked head. Does anyone have any suggestions for parts sources. Summit and JC Whitney were both no goes.
Thanks in advance,
Beth

I would get the block and head confirmed good before buying valve covers or anything else.

-Jon

Thanks Jon,
I only had a small amount of water and it was clean without any anti freeze in it so I'm pretty sure I got a bit in through the valve pan vent. The outside part was missing so I had a hole that led directly into my engine. I plugged it and figured out that my engine came from a 56 Bel Air. I found a pair of vented valve covers on close out for 30 bucks online so for that price I'm willing to take the chance. Thanks again for your time.

You're welcome.

Before we're done, I just wanted to say that I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures of your '60 CJ5 one day :)

-Jon

Hi Jon,
I have another question. I thought my engine came out of a Bel Air but I've been trying to look up my vin # and casting number and I think I was wrong. My vin # is FI03IFG. I think the F stands for Flint, the I is for Sept. The 03 is the third day of the month. Then I run into trouble. I can't find any suffix codes for the IFG. FG for a 283 2 barrel is a 57 corvette. Do you think that's it? The unknown I is driving me crazy. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Hi Jon,
I have another question. I thought my engine came out of a Bel Air but I've been trying to look up my vin # and casting number and I think I was wrong. My vin # is FI03IFG. I think the F stands for Flint, the I is for Sept. The 03 is the third day of the month. Then I run into trouble. I can't find any suffix codes for the IFG. FG for a 283 2 barrel is a 57 corvette. Do you think that's it? The unknown I is driving me crazy. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

I spent a fair amount of time trying to chase this down last night and throughout the day. I can see why you're frustrated. It's a bit of history lost to us, I think.

Aside from the unknown bothering you, what problem would knowing the answer solve for you?

BTW, I think it's a 1, not an uppercase "i." I can't remember which website I saw where I found that.

After much searching, I started to get brain fuzz. I never finished perusing this site: Chevy Small Block V8 Casting Numbers - Mortec

Maybe there's something in there for you.

-Jon

Thanks Jon, hopefully on Wednesday my parts will fit and then it won't matter. It is intriguing though. I have a cousin who lives in Flint and even he can't come up with somebody who knows what my engine numbers mean lol.

My search skills must have taken a hit over the last year or so.

Nice work, HackFabrication!

-Jon

Hack just has mad skills! Thanks for the new site and confirming my information. My Jeep was really a new build from old parts but I never would have guessed that my engine was so old. If it could talk I bet it would have some interesting stories to tell. Thanks again guys for spending time looking up my numbers. :notworthy:

I know this thread is a month old however I thought I would add this bit to it. If indeed, that is a 57 corvette engine (and I'm pretty sure it is) it could be worth quite a bit of money to a corvette restorer.

Good luck with your jeep

If indeed, that is a 57 corvette engine (and I'm pretty sure it is) it could be worth quite a bit of money to a corvette restorer.
I was thinking the same thing. Sell it, get a newer crate engine.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks