Engine 258 1 bbl to 2 bbl conversion

bcstringer

Jeeper
Thanks
South Clementine Street, Oceanside, CA 92054, USA
Vehicle(s)
'72 CJ5, 4.2L 258, T-18, D20, D44, D30
Howdy Jeep-CJ Community,
I've been reading your posts for years via various google searches, but now that my Jeep re-build has started, I'm running into some issues only you experienced CJers can likely help with. My 1972 Jeep CJ5 (v1.0) was my grandfather's and he taught me how to drive it well before I hit puberty. After he passed, my Dad got it and he and I restored it in 1993-94 as project v2.0 for me to drive as my first vehicle in high school. It's been sitting under my parents' house for nearly 30 years and even got completely flooded by Lake Travis in TX.

I just can't let this heirloom die, so almost 30 years later I'm bringing it back to life with project v3.0. I'm replacing the frozen 232 with a stroked 258 and the T-14 with a T-18. I'm upgrading to a 2 bbl Holley Sniper EFI so need to upgrade the stock 1 bbl intake to a 2 bbl intake. I can't find any late '70s model 2 bbl cast iron intakes out there that will marry up with the stock exhaust manifold so I'm going to use an early '80s model 2 bbl aluminum intake with a detached header.

1) I will block off the EGR with a plate, but what do you do with the vacuum ports and water jacket?
2) Has anyone out there with a '70s 1 bbl intake done this conversion to an early to mid '80s 2 bbl intake before that can walk me thru a clear step-by-step?
3) Are there threads or plugs out there that I can purchase to make this easy?

Thanks in advance for any help! Glad to be here with you all in the CJ Matrix.

Thanks,
Cody

Solution
Howdy Jeep-CJ Community,
I've been reading your posts for years via various google searches, but now that my Jeep re-build has started, I'm running into some issues only you experienced CJers can likely help with. My 1972 Jeep CJ5 (v1.0) was my grandfather's and he taught me how to drive it well before I hit puberty. After he passed, my Dad got it and he and I restored it in 1993-94 as project v2.0 for me to drive as my first vehicle in high school. It's been sitting under my parents' house for nearly 30 years and even got completely flooded by Lake Travis in TX.

I just can't let this heirloom die, so almost 30 years later I'm bringing it back to life with project v3.0. I'm replacing the frozen 232 with a stroked 258 and the T-14...
Engine 258 1 bbl to 2 bbl conversion
CA Smog test and inspection requirements go by vehicle year. '76-'86 CJs have to have smog tests, but '44-'75 CJs do not. I got lucky with a '72. I've always wanted to have a CJ6 or CJ7 in addition to my heirloom '72 CJ5 so I'm definitely staying under that '76 mark if I do.
Not sure why the "'44" text was auto-corrected to Dana 44, but I meant to say 1976-1986 CJs have to have smog tests, but 1944-1975 CJs do not. I got lucky with a 1972. I've always wanted to have a CJ-6 or CJ-7 in addition to my heirloom 1972 CJ-5 so I'm definitely staying under that 1976 mark if I do.

Not sure why the "'44" text was auto-corrected to Dana 44, but I meant to say 1976-1986 CJs have to have smog tests, but 1944-1975 CJs do not. I got lucky with a 1972. I've always wanted to have a CJ-6 or CJ-7 in addition to my heirloom 1972 CJ-5 so I'm definitely staying under that 1976 mark if I do.
Sorry about the errant "44" auto keyword link. Its been corrected. :)

Man thats an awesome drivetrain combo and i love that AMC paint color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's back up a bit which sniper did you get? I was previously running a MC 2100 (2 barrel but uses a 4 barrel Base) I purchased a 2 barrel sniper hence the adapter and need for a V8 throttle cable. If you bought a sniper as a factory replacement you shouldn't need a new cable

If you look at the first picture I posted and zoom in you can see the width of the sniper (silver) vs the intake (blue)

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

Here's a factory setup the one barrel Carter carb uses a longer cable as it pulls down not straight back the way a V8 would or the MC 2100 and Holley sniper two barrel. I would like to know what sniper you got. If you got the two barrel I think you got then you will need an adapter and throttle cable. The MC 2100 and sniper version of it while are two barrel they utilize a 4 barrel Base.original.jpg

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks