1986 late year Dana 44 Question

1986 late year Dana 44 Question

RattleTrap

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'84, CJ7, 258, T5, D300, AMC20, D30
Hesco MFI & Howard Cam on 33 w/4" lift
I have a 1984 CJ7 that I am in the process of rebuilding & modifying. This is my first post on this site - however I made good use of the site while rebuilding the CJ. I know, you are really never finished rebuilding/modifying a Jeep......

My question -

I recently purchased a Dana 44 rear axle from a 1986 late year CJ7 – all the measurements and marking check out. The axle is complete except for the brake consumables (pad, springs, wheel cylinder). So far so good – everything I have been able to find, including the Jeep parts list, clearly states that the brake backing plate, wheel cylinder, shoes, and drum are different and NOT usable on the AMC20 and vise versa.

I have measured the brake backing plate & drums on both the AMC20 and the Dana 44 only to find that they are the same in every way. What am I missing? Does anyone have information/specs for the brakes for the 1986 mid-year CJ7 Dana 44? Also does anyone know if it is possible retro fit the backing plate from an AMC20 to the Dana 44? If so, that is like what happened to this axle explaining the drum and backing plate.

The part number for the Dana 44 backing plate is 83502984 (R) & 83502985 (L)

The part number for the AMC20 backing plate is J4488452 (R) & J4488453 (L)

The only markings I can find are on the right backing plate which reads either 4F-5017R or 4F-5317B, wear & time has taken its toll on the stamping. Regardless these numbers do not match anything I can find.

I am stuck until I figure this out as I do not know what parts to order for the rebuild/build. I realize that the brakes are the last thing I need, so I am not too stressed, yet.

Thank you for your help.

Garner

This will be coming sooner or later so we might as well get this out of the way at the start. ...... It sounds like you have the backing plates for the Dana 44, maybe not the drums. The backing plates are the hard part. Why not just rebuild the Dana 44 brakes with new components? Then you know what you have and you know that everything is new and correct. ..... Don't forget E-brake compatibility.

Hedgehog,

Thank you - My plan is to rebuild with new parts - Auburn eLocker, gears, bearing, seals, shims, brakes shoes, and drums. The axles are good. I was just about to push the "order button" to purchase the Dana 44 brake shoes, rebuild kit, and drums when I saw in bold letters, that the parts will NOT fit AMC20.... It was at that point I decided to compare the AMC20 parts to the Dana 44 parts to have a better understand of the difference.

I have the backing plates and the drums with the 44. I also have a worn set of drums off my AMC20 making it easy to compare the two - everything matched to my surprise.

I am now scratching my head not sure whether I should order brake bits for the 20 or the 44.

Garner

Did you ck the dia of the 2 different 'drums'?
LG

I measured ID, OD, friction area, center cut, & Distance from hub to outer edge as well as the backing plate to drum fit -all are the same...

It's likely there is something different between them, probably not much. Or if ordered as an entire set they might work, but ordered to replace a part there might be enough of a difference to make them not work together. If it were me, I'd stop thinking about the process and hit the order button. Then the decision will be made. Besides, all the guts are a small money drop in the bucket compared to all the other differential parts you are going to need to replace everything other than the axles.

Go to a auto parts store, and see if the PN's will cross reference for the 2 axles.
Try NAPA on-line and see what's, what.
:chug:
LG

Weird just weird, you would think they would stick with the same parts to save money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will the axle bearings of the Dana 44 fit through the hole in the backing plate?

My brother has an '86 with the WT Dana 44 rear. As far as we know, it's original to the Jeep. His axle shafts will come out with the backing plate still on the housing. I don't know if there's a difference in the size of the hole in the backing plate, or a difference in the size of the bearings.

When I purchased brakes for my '86, I ordered them for the '86 and did not specify axle type. For the hole in the backing plate there could be an issue though, as the Dana 44 does have an 1 5/16" axle FWIW. For added strength, I added another bolt to the bottom of the backing plate since there was room. I would advise checking the axle housing straightness also.

Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge - After awesome responses i have established the backing plate is different on the 44 but all the other brake parts appear to be the same for the 20 & the 44. My backing plates are good so I will continue to order parts for the rebuild and gear change.

Thanks Again,
Garner

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks